UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done 3 in the last 3 days. Bolt From The Blue is my usual home, I did Ian Cheeseman's Forever Blue on Sunday, where we mainly talked about home game issues but I did a 10-minute vlog beforehand on this, and I've just come off the Man City Show. All are always worth listening to.

can I have your autograph?

Gary Neville is right. FFP is entirely the wrong way to assess and monitor financial stability. When people say it wasn't designed to stop investment by owners like Sheikh Mansour, that's EXACTLY what it does and appears to be designed to do. What it should be doing is making sure investment is responsible and sustainable. Just looking at the P&L account and adding back or subtracting a few miliion here and there simply doesn't come close to achieving that.

The classic example of FFP is that you can have a club that makes a great profit, say £30m, in one year, then the owner starts to run it irresponsibly and it just breaks even the next. Finally. in the third year, it makes a £30m loss. That club would pass FFP yet just a cursory glance at the trend of the bottom line should be ringing alarm bells.

I agree but that line of defence won’t help City at this stage or will it?

"...The investigation will focus on several alleged violations of FFP that were recently made public in various media outlets" (UEFA statement 7 March 2019) was all the information given about the scope of the investigation, but it does say "several" violations and it does specify that that these charges arise out of media reports, almost certainly Der Spiegel. Stefan Borson argues that UEFA cannot reopen a case where the time limit has expired and I pray that he is right. The only thing that worries me is Chumillas's email. Conn's details of Khaldoon's membership of the executive council is not a cause for concern because he is not part of the ownership structure at City? And a "US aviation industry document" is nothing like authoritative enough on its own to call into question City's or Etihad's accounts. But can the Chumillas email be used as evidence that City misled the original investigation and that the investigation can be reopened? Would this amount to City "overstating sponsorship revenue" both in our accounts and the break even information even if the information in Chumillas's email could be proven to be accurate? Would the fact that the scope document appears to have been passed on to City only after the referral decision make any difference apart from suggesting a very flawed process?

Gary Neville is right. FFP is entirely the wrong way to assess and monitor financial stability. When people say it wasn't designed to stop investment by owners like Sheikh Mansour, that's EXACTLY what it does and appears to be designed to do. What it should be doing is making sure investment is responsible and sustainable. Just looking at the P&L account and adding back or subtracting a few miliion here and there simply doesn't come close to achieving that.

The classic example of FFP is that you can have a club that makes a great profit, say £30m, in one year, then the owner starts to run it irresponsibly and it just breaks even the next. Finally. in the third year, it makes a £30m loss. That club would pass FFP yet just a cursory glance at the trend of the bottom line should be ringing alarm bells.
This.

It should also be an assessment of debt *and* revenue, not just revenue.

The fact that debt is almost entirely ignored is a very obvious indicator of why FFP was designed in the way it was.

Fair play to rat boy Gary Neville. How amazing that an oft-criticised ex-rag is one of the very very few to speak up.
That was great by Neville. To have the balls to stand up and say things against his old club is impressive. He is 100 per cent correct and the fact he has spoken out will do a lot to help City. He didn't have to say anything. I hope he shames some of the twats in the media who have hung our club out to dry without any evidence.

Maybe I’ve become too accustomed to matchday or post-defeat threads but I actually think most of the response on here has been pretty measured.

However some people (not you) are looking for clarity where it doesn’t exist. Not even our most knowledgeable members are in possession of the full picture.

Yeh, doubtless true. Doesn’t sit well with the control freak in me though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.