COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
....The criticism would be why was not actual data on the virus used in the first place? If we didn’t have access then why were countries and organisations privy to the actual data not heeded more? There could be good reasons for not doing so but that is a debate for later.
Could it be the data that was used was the only data that was available at the time and your concept of another set of 'actual data' is a complete fiction? The self-fulfilling prophecy business on here is thriving.

I said a week or so ago that I expected 100,000 (UK) deaths from this and was ridiculed by some. If we can keep it down to 48,000, that would be "marvellous" and I hope to God we can. I think we perhaps we can.

What is far from clear is just how the country will cope from the effect of all of the changes. We are a looking at 18 months now of changes to peoples ways of life not seen since WW2. This is going to have enormous knock on effects for all of us. I cannot even begin to imagine.
I’m fully expecting to be out of work by the end of it. I’m fortunate that I’d be able to cope for a year or two in that event (by which time I’d hope for everything to settle down and work for me again) but there may be tens of thousand less fortunate.

Sorry squirty
It's more than one person per household so either me or the Mrs can go and that's it we are going to take it in turns so we can get out of the house.
Fukin scary
Me and the Mrs always go together. She knows what we want, I always buy the wrong things, but she struggles with the full trolley so I do that.

1,100 and 4,900 includes school closures doesn’t it and it says that it remains in place (for two years?).

And still suggests up to 48,000 deaths (which, I grant, is considerably better than 250,000).

School closures are going to come in, they've said that, it's all about timing the triggers, which is what the 60/100/200/300/400 is for.

I don't see any reason why they would wait for 400, so it won't be 48000, also they don't think the R rate is that high, they think it's 2.4.

So we're talking about 8700-24000 depending on the trigger point for school closures.

I hear where your coming from mate but I think it's a bit different in fact.

The numbers of people who die is very strongly determined by the extent to which the NHS' ICU capacity is overloaded. Nearly everyone who needs ventilator support and who cannot get it, will die. What they have realised (and was obvious to many of us) is that had they carried on with Option 2, the NHS would be completely overwhelmed and the numbers of people dying would be off the scale. They talked about 250,000 *if* we had enough capacity, which of course we do not. So the numbers would be much higher than 250,000 - something in the region of half a million - with 14,500 people dying per day at the peak.

So Option1 becomes the only option. We have no choice. There are no circumstances where more people will die under Option1. This idea that Option2 might be better in the long run, has been shown to be wrong. It's SO bad in the short term, it cannot possibly be better.

And regards Option1, we may well have several "waves". After each wave is under control, we can ease off on measures and then if the numbers start to pick up again, we need to lock down again. We are going to have to get used to this for the next 18 months, because there is no alternative which does not leave half a million people dead.

I’m coming around to option one more and more, the more info I see on the ICU beds.

My post was very oversimplified also.

I’m genuinely really worried about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.