COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fully expecting to be out of work by the end of it. I’m fortunate that I’d be able to cope for a year or two in that event (by which time I’d hope for everything to settle down and work for me again) but there may be tens of thousand less fortunate.
I am sorry to hear that mate - although glad to hear you will cope, obviously.

But I've no idea how the many millions without adequate financial reserves will cope.

I am all for budget responsibility but in times of war, people expect and accept that public borrowing has to go through the roof. KPI's and targets need to be reset and to be commensurate with the times. This is the situation now I think. There is no long term gain from allowing otherwise sound businesses to fold, in fact the opposite is true. We can come out of this nightmare much quicker if this is - to the greatest extent possible - an 18 month "blip", where life carries on pretty much as normal in 18 months time. That cannot happen if half the businesses have gone under and unemployment is 10x what it is now.

So I would urge our government to take a more Macron-like approach. It will be bad enough for people having to stay indoors for a year, but doing so whilst worrying yourself sick over money, can only make things much worse. We need to pump vast amounts of funding in, to keep businesses afloat so that they can continue to pay their staff. It will costs tens of billions, perhaps 100 bn. But needs to be done.

School closures are going to come in, they've said that, it's all about timing the triggers, which is what the 60/100/200/300/400 is for.

I don't see any reason why they would wait for 400, so it won't be 48000, also they don't think the R rate is that high, they think it's 2.4.

So we're talking about 8700-24000 depending on the trigger point for school closures.
That would miraculous so I hope it’s the case.

Am I reading it wrong that these measures “remaining in place” means living in this surreal situation for two years (or until a viable vaccine comes into play)?

No difference today in work, no one allowed to work from home unless a family member in the same house has an illness that puts them at risk.
No wipes, no hand gels, no fcuking soap in the toilets ffs.
Luckily i've got my own

That's awful. Where do you work?

All retired nurses, doctors are been asked to step up here in Ireland. This will be paid employment. We have only 270 ICU beds although We can probably multiply that as 50% of the world's ventilators are manufactured here. We're as close to lockdown as we can be, logistically the resources aren't there to copy Italy,France etc. I live 1/2 mile from the border where currently there are no restrictions (although I'm expecting that to change soon) .I can tell you that if you are unwell and ring the HSE helpline they basically assess you over the phone taking your age, medical history into consideration. Unless you are in respiratory distress you won't be tested so the figures are somewhat skewed. Going to be a year that will never be forgotten I fear.

School closures are going to come in, they've said that, it's all about timing the triggers, which is what the 60/100/200/300/400 is for.

I don't see any reason why they would wait for 400, so it won't be 48000, also they don't think the R rate is that high, they think it's 2.4.

So we're talking about 8700-24000 depending on the trigger point for school closures.
Given that circa 8,000 die from flu anyway on a good year, I think you can forget all about your lower estimate mate. The upper estimate would be a welcomed miracle.

All retired nurses, doctors are been asked to step up here in Ireland.
Surprised FCA medics etc aren't being involved. Still happy to see the government being decisive about it. Would be nice to see a debt moratorium given the level of national debt and the rental crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.