COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky News reporting the government are pushing for a total lockdown within 24 hours
About time, it’s going to be madness on the streets today, police will be busy, I hope to God the supermarkets take some responsibility and limit amount of shoppers in at a time or it will be a free for all.

The blitz spirit is part myth.

The bit that is true is that Hitler thought it’d break Britain mentally and the people would turn on Churchill for not surrendering and stopping the bombing. It had the opposite effect and made people more motivated towards the allies winning the war.

The false bit is that everyone sang songs and skipped in bomb shelters holding hands and looking after each other. The reality is that people trampled over each other to get into the underground, looting was rife in a lot of places and even public service workers like police officers and the fire brigade stole from burning buildings.

Of course it wasn’t everyone and of course, as now, you had millions of people acting differently.

I don’t blame those that did necessarily, we owe that generation a great deal and they truly were the golden generation. I’m just highlighting even people then weren’t exempt from the selfishness that the survival instinct causes.

I think the Blitz spirit as it's known today was in fact invented in recent times and seems to be getting more exaggerated with every passing British crisis.

80 years and point stands although they still had rationing 70 years ago so that people didn’t stock up and hoard, funny that given your example. Why would they need to if people were ‘better’ then, societally.

Yes I didn’t reply as it seemed I’d hurt your feelings. My post that you replied to had garnered quite a few likes in agreement and it appeared your taken it as a personal slight. I didn’t wholly agree at all with your reply, it still smacks to me of rose tinted spectacles but I thought I’d leave it.

I’m not so sure about that. There’s plenty of social shaming that goes on in 2020, especially in smaller communities, and yes, even on social media.
Hurt my feelings? It’s like you don’t even know me!

Rationing underlines my point, so thanks for bringing that up. Yes, people circumvented it, especially the rich and powerful, but it was broadly observed. The notion of today’s society broadly observing rationing is comical. We’ve become sybaritic and spoilt as a society, which inevitably breeds a higher degree of selfishness.

I don’t have rose tinted spectacles about the past. There are many things about modern society I much prefer.

Nice to see you keeping a like count on your individual posts and deploying it to bolster a weak argument btw. Made me smile :-)

Edit: after finishing the above reply I noticed my post you replied to has three likes. Score!

Americans to introduce a 45 minute virus test within day. That's a big step forward. Presumably then it will roll out internationally, or there will be equivalents across the world. That would be huge. You could test a whole plane whilst they disembarked etc.

3200 strong trial of antivirals started today - Europe wide. Predominantly French.

I have a friend in hospital in preston that's just been tested and said the UK are about to start using a testing kit that will give results back in 9 minutes! That could be a game changer for the NHS.

These people, especially younger people, who are saying the mortality rate is so low it’s not worth getting worried about ... I saw a great example of demonstrating the concern people should have:

If I gave you 100 sweets and told you that 3 of them would kill you if you ate them, would you eat ANY of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.