Lockdown living tips

I am in the fortunate position of having only one neighbour 100 yards away, a massive garden and fields and woods outside our back door. We can go out and sit and have a drink, listen to music without annoying anyone and the firepit allows us to stay out longer.

I will be working in the garden, writing stuff, cooking and playing my guitar. Planting food now could be more important so potatoes, onions, tomatoes, golden beetroot, all getting sewn. I already have wild strawberries, Scottish raspberries, red currants, an apple tree, a bay leaf tree. Three chickens also provide fab eggs. I have plenty of Malts too which of course, will be crucial. I might even start drawing again. Who knows.

I am in the fortunate position of having only one neighbour 100 yards away, a massive garden and fields and woods outside our back door. We can go out and sit and have a drink, listen to music without annoying anyone and the firepit allows us to stay out longer.

I will be working in the garden, writing stuff, cooking and playing my guitar. Planting food now could be more important so potatoes, onions, tomatoes, golden beetroot, all getting sewn. I already have wild strawberries, Scottish raspberries, red currants, an apple tree, a bay leaf tree. Three chickens also provide fab eggs. I have plenty of Malts too which of course, will be crucial. I might even start drawing again. Who knows.
You sound very self sufficient and creative - enjoy the solitude, sounds great

Just when i thought I had it all figured out, I wake up to snow everywhere. So much for cleaning up the gardens.
Our roads have been ploughed pretty good, the ones in town down to pavement. Since the pub closed we've been touring around town on bikes for cocktail hour, riding by friends' houses, they join in and the party goes on...all with a respectable distance between us

We're still a couple of months away from even thinking about a garden

Our roads have been ploughed pretty good, the ones in town down to pavement. Since the pub closed we've been touring around town on bikes for cocktail hour, riding by friends' houses, they join in and the party goes on...all with a respectable distance between us

Not been on a bike without an engine since I was 14. Sounds a bit fruity to me.

Fucking hippie

:)

This has got to be the nation’s opportunity to learn how to cook!

Somewhere along the line, our nation went from a nation with good knowledge of a range healthy and cheap home batch cooking meals; to a nation who feed their families processed chicken dippers and chips, and microwave burgers.

My Nan used to make soups - lentil, chicken and veg, potato and leek, even “leftovers soup” wheee she’d throw in everything that needed using up in the fridge/cupboard and cooked it in a soup.

She’d make stew - called various things around the country including “lobby” in Stoke, “lobbies” is StHelens Leigh and Wigan, “scouse” in Liverpool.

Corned beef and potato hash.

Fish pie, cottage pie and shepherds pie.

I’ve learnt how to cook all of these as well as some more international dishes made in a similar batch/one-pot manner, including:

Chilli - which I cook with diced beef rather than mince.

This made-up (by me) Spanish style Bolognese where I use pork mince and chorizo.

A Korean inspired stir-fry - I make with my own sauce consisting of olive oil, crushed/pressed onion+garlic+ginger, soy sauce and smoked paprika... to which I add spring onions, chillis, beansprouts and noodles and one of those mixed seafood packs you can buy (prawns, scallops, squid rings).

Cooking like this is easier than you’d think, cooking like this is much cheaper (because the ingredients are cheap and you can cook in batches spreading a number of meals) than buying ready made meals, cooking like this is healthy as you are getting pot fulls of vitamins, minerals and protein in abundance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.