Lockdown living tips

This has got to be the nation’s opportunity to learn how to cook!

Somewhere along the line, our nation went from a nation with good knowledge of a range healthy and cheap home batch cooking meals; to a nation who feed their families processed chicken dippers and chips, and microwave burgers.

My Nan used to make soups - lentil, chicken and veg, potato and leek, even “leftovers soup” wheee she’d throw in everything that needed using up in the fridge/cupboard and cooked it in a soup.

She’d make stew - called various things around the country including “lobby” in Stoke, “lobbies” is StHelens Leigh and Wigan, “scouse” in Liverpool.

Corned beef and potato hash.

Fish pie, cottage pie and shepherds pie.

I’ve learnt how to cook all of these as well as some more international dishes made in a similar batch/one-pot manner, including:

Chilli - which I cook with diced beef rather than mince.

This made-up (by me) Spanish style Bolognese where I use pork mince and chorizo.

A Korean inspired stir-fry - I make with my own sauce consisting of olive oil, crushed/pressed onion+garlic+ginger, soy sauce and smoked paprika... to which I add spring onions, chillis, beansprouts and noodles and one of those mixed seafood packs you can buy (prawns, scallops, squid rings).

Cooking is easier than you’d think and cooking like this is much cheaper (because the ingredients are cheap and you can cook in batches spreading a number of meals) than buying ready made meals.
I made elk enchilladas last night, they were so good

I have been up since 4 am and have excel sheeted my computer hardware inventory as well as fixed 2 PC's and cased another 3, my living room looks like a PC world returns section. By the time this lockdown ends I will be living in the shed, it's piling up at a virulent rate of knots.

It’s not a new situation for me as I’ve been very reclusive for the vast majority of the last 14 years.

Meditating, mindlessly browsing the internet, fitness dvds, films, tv shows, reading (when my mind decides it can pay attention), video games and spending time with my pets have all kept me amused during this time.

However, if I didn’t have learning disorders, I would be seizing upon this opportunity by learning another language and improving my cooking ‘skills’.

cook food and savour it, drink water, read books, listen to music, stimulate the brain and try to stay positive. for most of us nothing will change, just a bit of a sabbatical. put a language app on my phone, spanish, german and hoping to expand to scouse in case i go benidorm

What do a lot of you lot do for jobs? Me and the Mrs are working far longer hours 6am-10pm just trying to keep the wolves from the door, I don't understand how people have so much free time. It does help having young kids too, that's a battle.

Batch cooking and freezing for the apocalypse when food imports stop.
So far shepherds pies, vegetable casseroles, vegetable soups, chicken casseroles and Thai fish cakes are in the freezer. Enough for 12 meals for two us.

What do a lot of you lot do for jobs? Me and the Mrs are working far longer hours 6am-10pm just trying to keep the wolves from the door, I don't understand how people have so much free time. It does help having young kids too, that's a battle.

Can’t speak for others but I’m 68!

Dug up part of the lawn and flower beds, first time I’ve done any proper gardening for over twenty years.
Ordered a variety of seeds last night so we can start a vegetable plot.

Son in law installing renewable energy generator at a high-tech chicken farm so he’s bringing four chickens and coop round.

Just waiting for the delivery of a generator and water purifier and we’re good to go

I’m an office based advisor and everyone is working from home. I’m on sick leave at the moment but they’ve arranged for e-mail access and phones diverted to a new number. Some things aren’t getting done (post for example) but it’s workable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.