“The work of God”?

I watched it and couldn’t believe they weren’t sued to high heaven!
I cried with laughter at it.

Nothing comes from nothing so I have yet to hear a plausible answer to the ultimate question. It’s like playing a never ending game of pass the parcel trying to work it out. Meh!

It’s what you do with that power and theism teaches me that any god is a lunatic, who creates people unwell on purpose and then causes them deep suffering for being so.

If I believed it to be true I’d be petrified of such a being.

You're making the assumption that those people who were created unwell is all on God and nothing to do with the faulty genes of the parents or whatever other reasons. The prophets didn't teach to blame God for anything. Whatever we have is only a gift and a trust. As bad as it is for many people, the whole temporary life on Earth is only a tiny fraction of the eternal afterlife, and when it comes to getting entry there, a disability is only spoken of as a blessing in the scriptures.
Complaining this setup is pointless as we are in no position to question the sovereignty of God, and if we ponder deeply over it we'll end up saying God shouldn't create humans.

As for being petrified, we are only required to fear the justice of God, but remain optimistic about all else.

There's a website that lists issues with 3 sets of holy books.
It is easy to use and jumps to the relevant sections for each point. Each point made is broken down by categorys - eg Absurdity, Injustice, Intolerance, Contradictions, Sex, Women...
and each point has annotations.

https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/index.htm
https://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/BOM/index.htm

The Contradictions annotation groupings are probably the 'best'. There are many of them.

We need to learn the language, culture and history of the times these books were written to understand the "absurdities".
If as these sites proclaim they are full of contradictions, then every believer would be leading a confused life. The key difference I find is the skeptics take up verses from here and there and match against each other, whereas the students of these books take all of the verses on a subject as a whole and build an understanding, with the verses that are specific limiting the scope of the verses that are generic. As the saying goes, the best exegesis of the scripture is the scripture itself.

You're making the assumption that those people who were created unwell is all on God and nothing to do with the faulty genes of the parents or whatever other reasons. The prophets didn't teach to blame God for anything. Whatever we have is only a gift and a trust. As bad as it is for many people, the whole temporary life on Earth is only a tiny fraction of the eternal afterlife, and when it comes to getting entry there, a disability is only spoken of as a blessing in the scriptures.
Complaining this setup is pointless as we are in no position to question the sovereignty of God, and if we ponder deeply over it we'll end up saying God shouldn't create humans.

As for being petrified, we are only required to fear the justice of God, but remain optimistic about all else.

As I’ve said the design of everything is just weird.

If god is that interested in humanity and he cares what we do, eat, shag, think etc. Why make a universe so big and stick us on the outside of some tiny rock that’s exposed to so much danger?

Why go through the process of dinosaurs, wipe them out, then have us evolve from apes?

Why not inform us properly and not only do so through the words of a couple of people in the desert so long ago?

How are tribes in the Amazon supposed to follow it when they don’t have contact with other people?

Why make it so unbelievable and then send those that don’t believe it out of pure logic, to eternal hell fire?

Why have your only son or your prophet tell the world everything they need to know but not include 100% of science that’s proven to be correct.

The Abrahamic religions got how the universe came about, how man got here, gravity, the sun etc. all totally wrong.

Why make us attracted to the other sex and then say we should pluck our own eye out before we look at a woman with lust we’re not married to, as it’s the same as adultery?

Why create a world in which babies die of starvation and of their own shit, in total misery?

Why have us evolve from a particularly violent group of primates?

Why even have the earth in the first place? Why have mental health and disabilities in the first place?

Why is the violent and disgusting execution of a human being in the desert the best way to teach the world morality?

Why have a war lord paedophile prophet the same?

I’ve read large parts of the bible and Koran and I’m sorry mate, within a few pages you can tell it’s the imagination of an ancient idiot.

We need to learn the language, culture and history of the times these books were written to understand the "absurdities".
If as these sites proclaim they are full of contradictions, then every believer would be leading a confused life. The key difference I find is the skeptics take up verses from here and there and match against each other, whereas the students of these books take all of the verses on a subject as a whole and build an understanding, with the verses that are specific limiting the scope of the verses that are generic. As the saying goes, the best exegesis of the scripture is the scripture itself.
All these books are just fairy tails that were written in times when they could scare people into believing them.

Enlightenment happened 300 years ago yet people are still following these religions and believing in these books in 2020.

Beowulf, King Arthur, Robin Hood... all as credibly reliable as fact as any religion yet we all know they’re just legends.

As I’ve said the design of everything is just weird.

If god is that interested in humanity and he cares what we do, eat, shag, think etc. Why make a universe so big and stick us on the outside of some tiny rock that’s exposed to so much danger?

Why go through the process of dinosaurs, wipe them out, then have us evolve from apes?

Why not inform us properly and not only do so through the words of a couple of people in the desert so long ago?

How are tribes in the Amazon supposed to follow it when they don’t have contact with other people?

Why make it so unbelievable and then send those that don’t believe it out of pure logic, to eternal hell fire?

Why have your only son or your prophet tell the world everything they need to know but not include 100% of science that’s proven to be correct.

The Abrahamic religions got how the universe came about, how man got here, gravity, the sun etc. all totally wrong.

Why make us attracted to the other sex and then say we should pluck our own eye out before we look at a woman with lust we’re not married to, as it’s the same as adultery?

Why create a world in which babies die of starvation and of their own shit, in total misery?

Why have us evolve from a particularly violent group of primates?

Why even have the earth in the first place? Why have mental health and disabilities in the first place?

Why is the violent and disgusting execution of a human being in the desert the best way to teach the world morality?

Why have a war lord paedophile prophet the same?

I’ve read large parts of the bible and Koran and I’m sorry mate, within a few pages you can tell it’s the imagination of an ancient idiot.
We haven’t evolved from apes, we have evolved as apes. Humans are still Hominidae or hominids, we are classed as great apes.

All these books are just fairy tails that were written in times when they could scare people into believing them.

Enlightenment happened 300 years ago yet people are still following these religions and believing in these books in 2020.

Beowulf, King Arthur, Robin Hood... all as credibly reliable as fact as any religion yet we all know they’re just legends.

Many religions are wrapped in culture, the way they dress act and live their daily lives are dictated by their chosen religion, it's odd to say the least.

We haven’t evolved from apes, we have evolved as apes. Humans are still Hominidae or hominids, we are classed as great apes.

Go further back in time and our ancestors were Monkeys, further back still we were Amoebas it's all a question of how far back we want to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.