COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The epidemic in Italy is fueled largely by an epidemic in Lombardy now not by migrants who escaped Lombardy. I remember when the Italian press leaked the Lombardy lockdown but we have similar issues with Londoners moving to 2nd homes in Cornwall, Wales, and the Highlands.

The number of new cases that we get each day is proportional to the number of cases we have and the transmission rate. It's rise is inexorable unless we do something radical to impact on the transmission rate going forward.

We have a big advantage over Italy in that our number of cases is way below theirs which mean that if we impose strict isolation measures now, and test then we can get on top of the new cases. Italy shows social isolation works but it would be incredibly stupid to slowly ratchet it up until we are in the teeth of it, otherwise we'll see a lot of deaths too. Better to lockdown now, then we could halt the growth before the number of cases gets too high remembering that around 1% of infected people will die.

I don't see why people should have such faith in the UK government over and above the Italians. So far they have done nothing to deserve it. Perhaps the relative complacency comes from the UK's existence as an island nation which probably reduced our initial numbers and left us someway down the list. That's a lucky break due to geography not competence.
Any advantage we had as an island was cancelled out as we just let anybody fly in from all over the world included 2,000 from the madrid hotspot for a CL game

They don't actually have to pay you anything but just keep you on the books.
So if they keep you on the books you will get 80%? Just I have looked on govt website and, to me, it looks like you only entiltled to the 80% if you are off work having contracted the virus and a doctor has confirmed this. I hope I am reading this incorrectly

If true across other populations, that could be VERY good news indeed. It would imply MANY more infections than we currently imagine, and therefore a much lower overall death rate. Not much comfort for anyone in ICU, but quite a bit of comfort for those worrying about whether they may or may not find themselves there.

And quicker immunity?

Does anyone know you will be paid the 80% if you are currently working and get laid off "on temp basis". Company I work for look like they will lay a load of us off on Thursday.

My understanding is, it is up to the employer, to keep paying you at 80% to keep you on the books, while you stay at home. The government then reimburses the employer. But i believe there is nothing to compel him to do so, only the genuine will to keep staff on for when we come out of this, and the employee agreeing to it, but he can still choose redundancy over the above measure.

So if they keep you on the books you will get 80%? Just I have looked on govt website and, to me, it looks like you only entiltled to the 80% if you are off work having contracted the virus and a doctor has confirmed this. I hope I am reading this incorrectly

You are. If you are temporarily laid off you will get 80% of your wages up to a maximum of £2500 a month. Your company can choose to make up the difference or not.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/society...sick-pay-and-lost-hours-your-rights-in-the-uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.