COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt really a lockdown is it ? It lead by our employers and if they say they are staying open we have to go in. I mean bike shops , why do the government think that in a pandemic we all going to rush out a buy new bikes or fix up the one in the shed. Solicitors still open, some building sites open some building supplies open. It really is a miss and hit lockdown. In my household once we have finished self isolating, we are all (3 of us ) back to work as normal. Local council worker,( grass cutting) solicitors secretary and bike shop worker doesnt feel like a lock down to us !

Worldometer is currently down, overloaded following news from Spain about the rise in infections and deaths there.

It’s working for me. The Spanish numbers are horrendous now and worse is to come. 35,000 active cases with a death rate of nearly 50% we could be looking at 20,000 deaths in a fortnight. Also, 35k active cases is devastating for the health system’s capability.

There’s a big stretch from eating a farmed four legged animal, such as a lamb or even a horse and eating a fucking snake or a bat, which is akin to eating rat.

Yes it’s their culture but it’s fucking rank.

I don't agree with that really, not as a principle at least.

Totally not my thing or something i would willingly try, but logically, what IS the difference? Why is a cricket different from a prawn, a snake from a trout, a bat from a fowl etc etc. And a rat has 4 legs too.

All animals (and humans) carry diseases, we have had mad cow disease, various and numerous infections from pork, commonly had worm from sea fish prior to change in legislation in freezing at the source, salmonella from chicken etc etc. Hard to argue the risk is less. To me it is purely a choice based on cultural or personal preconceptions.

By no means however do i disagree that this could and should have been avoided by proper procedures and measures in place, which werent regulated at the markets, nor was controlling the spread proactive enough.

Last edited:
This isnt really a lockdown is it ? It lead by our employers and if they say they are staying open we have to go in. I mean bike shops , why do the government think that in a pandemic we all going to rush out a buy new bikes or fix up the one in the shed. Solicitors still open, some building sites open some building supplies open. It really is a miss and hit lockdown. In my household once we have finished self isolating, we are all (3 of us ) back to work as normal. Local council worker,( grass cutting) solicitors secretary and bike shop worker doesnt feel like a lock down to us !

No, it isn’t a lock down.

I’m still very circumspect about the German figures and I’m unsure they’re classifying deaths from people with underlying health issues AND Covid-19 in the same way we are.

I read in the German media that anyone dying with Covid-19 as a symptom is indeed listed as dying from that. I trust the figures but think that Germany's better-equipped facilities might have been able to keep more people alive longer in these initial stages. However, if the numbers continue to rise, then the pressure on said facilities will become as irresistible as in many other countries.

Didn’t they just have their spike a lot earlier than us? From memory I thought South Korea’s main spread was In a remote part of the country with the epicentre some religious cult who got it and spread it around the area.
I don't know mate, and maybe when this is all over we will look back and say we did everything right.

I just cannot see it myself. I think we are going to end up like Italy or worse, and we had every opportunity to not have been. I think it stems from our inaction in the early stages 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I am convinced at that time we were thinking that everyone is going to get this, and that they didn't want to have people milling around at the peak period of infections - imagining that people would get bored of any measures introduced too soon, and then compliance would drop. So they accepted the rising infection rates whilst we did bugger all. And then they realised the catastrophic overloading of the NHS that would result, and the huge numbers of excess lives that would be lost and so changed tack. But only after precious weeks were lost.

I posted previously that our daily death rate was probably mulitplying by 10x every 8 or 9 days. Sadly I was wrong. It's been every 6 or 7 days. So a couple of weeks of not doing enough, makes a 10x to 100x difference in the daily death rate. Which is why we'll be seeing 1,000+ people dying every day over the coming days. Terrible, terrible and very sad.

There will need to be the inquest of all inquests when all this is over.

Totally not my thing or something i would willingly try, but logically, what IS the difference?
As I’ve said about five times this morning. Humans haven’t lived in close proximity to these animals and their pathogens for the last 200,000 years. As such, we can’t deal with their viruses and pathogens.

There would have been more deaths all through that time if that were true.

How do you know there was not? We had quite a mild winter so maybe the spike caused by this was offset by the calm winter.

How do you know there was not? We had quite a mild winter so maybe the spike caused by this was offset by the calm winter.
How would a mild winter help?

Also the winter may have been mild but it wasn’t calm. Four huge storms came through within four weeks, each one being a “once in a decade” storm.

Anyway, the government has ordered over 3m antibody tests. We’ll know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.