COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look! In the middle of the COVID crisis a vegan narcissist pops up and makes it all about their issue. There is a vegan thread for your lot to moan on mate go rant to your mates on there.

i think that’s a bit harsh - I’m a meat eater but it’s ignorant to think the consumption of meat the planet is eating and all the other consequences that come with it will play it’s part in future pandemics.

I’m sorry I’m not having that.

When the rest of the world looks at what you’re doing in disgust, it’s pretty clear you’re the odd one out, when it comes to diet.

Some animals bring disease more than others and are known to do so.

You can’t tell me seafood is the same as eating a spider or eating a cow is the same as eating a bat.

There’s a reason no one else eats these things.

Think it only far to point out that not all Chinese eat 'exotically'. I've spoken to quite a few from around the country who find the practice just as abhorrent as we do. Millions couldn't afford to either.

Think it only far to point out that not all Chinese eat 'exotically'. I've spoken to quite a few from around the country who find the practice just as abhorrent as we do. Millions couldn't afford to either.

Absolutely mate.

It’s only a minority in certain areas that do.

The government needs to get a grip of it.

No species has dominated the natural world like humans in the last two hundred years. Not even remotely close. Included in that is behaviour that greatly increases pollution in the air, the sea and the ground, is transforming the biological landscape of the planet and creating the ideal environment for a virus to spread. All these factors have been caused by our (relatively) recent dominance of the natural world. This, based on what went before it, is novel, unprecedented in fact. Within a vanishingly short period. So, man’s behaviour over the last two hundred years represents something that has never subsisted previously, and moreover those changes have occurred in the blink of an eye. Something’s changed. That is what I mean when I talk about the natural balance being disturbed. The planet is in unchartered waters in that regard and I believe that consequences flow from that.

So that is my ‘evidence’, and whilst you may not agree with it, it is still founded in rationality. I think that events like this and more unpredictable weather will become increasingly common going forward because of our undeniable impact upon the natural world. I hope I’m wrong, but what is the alternative? That we can dominate the natural world with impunity? Doubtful. I believe there are consequences to our impact on the natural world and this disease, even though it is caused by an unthinking pathogen simply looking for a host to replicate itself within, is an example of that.

The world we’ve created gave rise to this virus jumping from species to species and human behaviour in the modern world aided and abetted its spread at a speed that was inconceivable before industrialisation. In that sense we’ve ‘caused’ this and I believe if we continue to act in the same way as a species, then more is to follow.

I have a lot of sympathy for your argument and the way man has shaped this planet in the last century or so but the most destructive plague was the Black Death in the 1300’s, which also effected cattle, pigs etc, when man’s dominance of the planet was much less marked and, given the era, spread quickly through Asia and Europe. There was also the Sweating Sickness in England starting in the 1400’s. Population density, interconnected travel and our impact on the natural world in these times was negligible compared to today.

Arguable that our dominance allows us to control and mitigate these occurrences much more than in previous centuries.

But they have. WE haven't, but other parts of the world have. Asia grow and consume fruit and vegetables we havnt even heard of, heck rice was once unheard of. Should that too be seen as a risk? maybe, but it is part of that geolocational society and culture.
They haven't at all. The Chinese weren't running these wet markets for these animals prior to the 1970's, that's the point.

And when humans moved around, taking their pathogens to new worlds, the indigenous died out. See Incas and Native Americans being virtually wiped out by Smallpox and Flu.

This isnt really a lockdown is it ? It lead by our employers and if they say they are staying open we have to go in. I mean bike shops , why do the government think that in a pandemic we all going to rush out a buy new bikes or fix up the one in the shed. Solicitors still open, some building sites open some building supplies open. It really is a miss and hit lockdown. In my household once we have finished self isolating, we are all (3 of us ) back to work as normal. Local council worker,( grass cutting) solicitors secretary and bike shop worker doesnt feel like a lock down to us !
Could be because it isn’t a lockdown, and hasn’t been announced as one yet.

I'm getting pretty anxious about all this. I work in a supermarket which exposes myself to a lot of different people and have a horrible feeling this thing might finish me off.

My medical history has all been respiratory related. Pleurisy, pneumonia, two collapsed lungs which required surgery which led to complications and a prolonged chest drain and now I'm diagnosed with bullous emphysema.

I've raised concern with the night manager but he stated unless I receive one of those letters from my GP I'm fine to work. I'm already on a reduced hours contract because of occupational health.
I'm thinking of self isolating for the good my anxiety more than anything.

Go on sick leave, or just say you don't wanna risk it mate. Bite the bullet if you have to

Better to ask what if, then be 6 foot underground.

With your medical history, and the sheer volume of people being pricks panic buying in mass crowds (which we are meant to be avoiding) your chance of getting infected is higher than most.

My old man works at an airport and my mum at a supermarket, I told them they're crackers, just jib it off.

I'm getting pretty anxious about all this. I work in a supermarket which exposes myself to a lot of different people and have a horrible feeling this thing might finish me off.

My medical history has all been respiratory related. Pleurisy, pneumonia, two collapsed lungs which required surgery which led to complications and a prolonged chest drain and now I'm diagnosed with bullous emphysema.

I've raised concern with the night manager but he stated unless I receive one of those letters from my GP I'm fine to work. I'm already on a reduced hours contract because of occupational health.
I'm thinking of self isolating for the good my anxiety more than anything.

are you in a union?
If you are what’s their position on it?

My brother emigrated to New Zealand. He is about to go into lockdown for 4 weeks. They have 209 confirmed cases. Why is the UK not in lockdown?

No doubt UK measures will get gradually ratcheted up again but why the gradualist approach? We are not doing everything we can to suppress transmission of the virus. People are way too trusting of this government given that their original plan was to micromanage the infection rate to infect up to 70% of the population until immunity stopped the infection.

Perhaps what we are seeing is a government who knows exactly what the real data is (they have been sampling throughout), they know they have this under control and they are prepared to do a trade off between economic output and lives.

I have a lot of sympathy for your argument and the way man has shaped this planet in the last century or so but the most destructive plague was the Black Death in the 1300’s, which also effected cattle, pigs etc, when man’s dominance of the planet was much less marked and, given the era, spread quickly through Asia and Europe. There was also the Sweating Sickness in England starting in the 1400’s. Population density, interconnected travel and our impact on the natural world in these times was negligible compared to today.

Arguable that our dominance allows us to control and mitigate these occurrences much more than in previous centuries.
Yes, that’s undoubtedly the counter-argument.

I fully accept that our impact on the planet 500-700 years ago was negligible, but the Black Death’s spread was undoubtedly greatly assisted by human behaviour, just not as precipitously as Covid-19.

I’m not just talking about the spread of a particular disease, either. I believe the consequences of our behaviour will be far wider and deeper than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.