COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany's new cases fallen significantly but they have been testing a lot of people. Might be good news? Their deaths have risen noticeably in the last couple of days. Hitherto their low no. of deaths was anomalous and people sought to explain why. There was an explanation that it was due to the low age of their initial infections and this seems to fit. As the epidemic proceeds older people get caught up in it and the death rate starts to move towards other countries.

I wonder if more UK politicians will be found to have the virus?
Wouldnt be surprised if it spreads through the Cobra committee which would not be good. Stands to reason that if the PM has it then the Health Sec has as well, they have been in eachother's company a lot no doubt.

10:43
BREAKINGSpain death toll tops 5,000
The death toll from coronavirus in Spain has now exceeded 5,000, after 832 more fatalities were reported there in the past 24 hours.

The death toll now stands at 5,690, while a total of 72,248 people have been infected.

Spain is currently Europe's second-worst-hit country after Italy.

A state of emergency is in place until at least 12 April, with most shops and businesses closed and people's movements severely restricted.

The army has been deployed to deep-clean hospitals and other facilities. Hospitals have been under intense pressure and, like in many other countries, health workers have complained of inadequate protective equipment.

Genuine question to Americans on here, whats the message like on social distancing over there?

Can't believe that all the 'top people' are shoulder to shoulder in this video.

They needed that many people there to make sure he traced over the pencil lines someone else drew for him to make sure he spelt his name correctly.

The big crayons for everyone is to show his gratitude in them helping him with his spelling and staying on the lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pooled-number.png
So those green peaks are the epidemics and the excess deaths relating to epidemics are the areas of the curves between the green line and the red baseline? It is noticeable how the baseline varies with the calendar year.

Genuine question to Americans on here, whats the message like on social distancing over there?

Can't believe that all the 'top people' are shoulder to shoulder in this video.

I sat here last night with the missus and we couldnt believe what we were seeing. What plant is trump and those numptys on ?

Pop of NZ 4.8m
Pop of UK 67m
Note the difference

Pop of UK 67m
Pop of Germany 83m

Population size is irrelevant. Having the capacity within our respective systems to cope is relevant. Germany is heading towards testing 500,000 a week thereby copying the South Korean model of identifying carriers and quarantining them as quickly as possible. There were no excuses about size of population limiting what can be done.

Surely I’m not the only thinking “If that’s true and we normally get 20,000 Flu deaths each year, then why are we and every other country plunging economies into recession with lock downs and why are we building pop up morgues to take 20 odd thousand bodies?”
I looked this up a couple of weeks ago when posters were adamant that Covid19 was like the flu.
On average over the last ten years there have been about 8,000 deaths per annum from flu in the UK

Most people in the country for that text, that is just the general advice warning sent to most phones , that is not the 12 week letter

Thanks for the clarification.

I did say I wasn’t certain that the text was in place of the letter. She was expecting that her 85 year old Mum - who has underlying health conditions - would get the letter but to date, nothing has come through the post. On that basis, it was thought - albeit incorrectly, that the text was a replacement.

We shall resume monitoring the post!

I looked this up a couple of weeks ago when posters were adamant that Covid19 was like the flu.
On average over the last ten years there have been about 8,000 deaths per annum from flu in the UK

It's also worth pointing out that the pressure from flu is often spaced out over a longer period and doesn't always put pressure on ICU facilities.
Only December but seems a lifetime ago and a different world now.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...tal-ill-patient-gps-vaccine-phe-a9244201.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.