Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I have tried to steer clear of all football talk over the past couple of weeks, the ongoing crisis is far bigger than any football game. I find all the talk of finishing the season because they don’t want to lose out on TV money, quite frankly disgusting and I hope City are not involved in trying to get this through.

On a purely football basis, I find it ridiculous that there is talk of games behind closed doors, or X amount of games being played each day etc etc. You cannot change the rules and criteria of a competition once it has started, once you do so, you are playing a different competition. You cannot maintain the integrity (lol) of the sport by introducing a 6 month break that wasn’t meant to be there, or removing fans from stadiums, or playing a World Cup style competition in the summer months. You either play the competition to a conclusion, with all the same criteria you started the season with, or you end the season as null and void.

If the authorities want to raise the spirits of the population, or clubs want to generate some additional income, then if possible create a World Cup style tournament in the summer...but it must be a new tournament, with its own criteria and own trophy/prize money up for grabs. The PL cannot and must not be finished this way.

Don’t really know what it is, but for a long time it’s always smacked of bullshit when he’s implied that he has the inside track on almost anything. “Sources tell me”, “The Independent understands” etc. Probably applies to most journalists tbf, but with him it seems so much more transparent. Impossible to take him seriously.
For me, he lost all credibility when he used the term "blinkered crackpots" to describe others without a hint of irony.

For me, he lost all credibility when he used the term "blinkered crackpots" to describe others without a hint of irony.
Seems to have a bit of a narcissistic personality. Spends his entire life arguing with strangers on Twitter, but has never once accepted he might be in the wrong. Bad weirdo.

Why does the PL think they deserve special treatment, what about other sports? What about Wimbledon, Test Cricket, The Open all just as important to people, would they too demand “ special case status”? They are heading to alienating fans and the public at large, people know the truth and it’s all about money Or is this just a figment of his imagination to keep himself current as there is nothing to write about?

The media have this obsession with the TV deal and money owed to Sky and it's so frustrating that none of them have actually thought it through.

Does anyone seriously think Sky are going to demand their 700m back? And jeopardise future TV deals?? They overpaid this time because they were terrified Amazon will steal their business.

Sky pay over £1Bn per year not out of charity but because it makes them 2x that and is the cornerstone of their entire business. They have 25m customers *because* they have the PL.

There's never going to be an acrimonious falling out over the TV money from 1 year. Sky need the Premier League TV rights.

Seems to have a bit of a narcissistic personality. Spends his entire life arguing with strangers on Twitter, but has never once accepted he might be in the wrong. Bad weirdo.
I remember after we won the treble he spent the whole summer arguing with City fans. Poor bastard had absolutely nothing better to do.

Mark my words, football fans will not be attending football games until 2021-22 season.

Next season may well get underway but there will be no fans allowed to attend.

While lockdowns will subside and disappear, social distancing will continue well into next year.
You may well be right. It’s definitely not going to be over by June/July as some people make out in any case. The Spanish flu went on for over two years, it wouldn’t be unprecedented

The media have this obsession with the TV deal and money owed to Sky and it's so frustrating that none of them have actually thought it through.

Does anyone seriously think Sky are going to demand their 700m back? And jeopardise future TV deals?? They overpaid this time because they were terrified Amazon will steal their business.

Sky pay over £1Bn per year not out of charity but because it makes them 2x that and is the cornerstone of their entire business. They have 25m customers *because* they have the PL.

There's never going to be an acrimonious falling out over the TV money from 1 year. Sky need the Premier League TV rights.
Yes, this seems to have been overlooked. Also, it would be an absolute disaster from a PR point of view if Sky actually sued clubs over this, and risked bankrupting some of them in the process.

Not sure about the rest of you but I wouldn't watch a single minute if this happens.
It would essentially be four weeks of training ground matches.

A real festival of footbal.

This is well and truly becoming the last straw, just look at the reaction on here and I assume the same reaction on other football forums up and down the country. No one cares anymore, apart from the greedy ****s, desperately trying to keep the money flowing. Fucking immoral. Stick your fucking game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.