Greatest midfielders you have watched

He was excellent as an experienced head among that great crop of Youth Cup winners when they first came into the team.

All sides need a blend of youth and experience, and Neil, along with Kenny Clements and John Gidman were perfect.
That's the first time I've seen Clements described as perfect, but I get your point.

Kaz Deyna , he was a class player , if he was playing now he would have got the protection he needed from refs , but he was kicked from pillar to post and suffered a few injuries , he could win a game with his deft feet , neat passing and he had good shot on him .He was about 30 years old when he joined , and probably his best years were behind him , but he was elegance personified on a football field.

In the flesh.

David Silva
Roy Keane
Yaya
Paul McGrath
Pirlo
Luca Modric
Arjen Robben
Georgi Hadji
Bernardo Silva
Phil Foden
Frank Lampard
Shaun Wright Phillips
Gareth Barry
Damien Duff
Makalele
Mascherano
Figo
Veron
Diego Simione
Rui Costa
Milner
Essien
Gerrard
Tuncay
Nigel De Jong
Wesley Sneider
Dejan Stankovic
Stephen Ireland
Pjanic
Paulo Sousa
Stan Petrov
Ray Houghton
Glen Whelan (massively underrated)
Andy Townsend
Kevin Sheedy
Jao Mouthinho (saw him at the europa league final in Dublin 2011, Porto v Braga, Otamendi and Fernando lifted the cup that night too).

I think that’s most of them through the years. But thinking back I’ve seen some good football, most of those have been against Ireland. There’s probably a few more.

***I’ve not seen KDB in the flesh yet

Whenever there's a poll of the best...….you've ever seen, it always tends to show the relative age of the contributor. There's not many FOCs in the list, as, for example, I would have included Colin Bell as the outstanding midfield player of his generation. Similarly, Glen Hoddle and Tony Currie spring to mind, both as very effective players and entertainers, yet contrast that with Norman "bite yer legs" Hunter and Peter Storey as destroyers in that department. Looking back a very long way, each era produces all types of midfielder; offensive, defensive, and all rounders, many of whom are listed on here. It also depends on the media exposure the player's club receives, and in what context. For example. you would think Lingaard would be right up there with the best, given his glowing adulation from the sycophantic media, but even the club's own fans know the truth.
At the end of the day, it's your own perception based on what you see/watch that counts, and I won't knock anyone's choice.

I might shake my head at some of them, though.

In the flesh.

David Silva
Roy Keane
Yaya
Paul McGrath
Pirlo
Luca Modric
Arjen Robben
Georgi Hadji
Bernardo Silva
Phil Foden
Frank Lampard
Shaun Wright Phillips
Gareth Barry
Damien Duff
Makalele
Mascherano
Figo
Veron
Diego Simione
Rui Costa
Milner
Essien
Gerrard
Tuncay
Nigel De Jong
Wesley Sneider
Dejan Stankovic
Stephen Ireland
Pjanic
Paulo Sousa
Stan Petrov
Ray Houghton
Glen Whelan (massively underrated)
Andy Townsend
Kevin Sheedy
Jao Mouthinho (saw him at the europa league final in Dublin 2011, Porto v Braga, Otamendi and Fernando lifted the cup that night too).

I think that’s most of them through the years. But thinking back I’ve seen some good football, most of those have been against Ireland. There’s probably a few more.

***I’ve not seen KDB in the flesh yet

A lot of names in there man. Sheedy waa a decent player.

When did McGrath play in midfield? Was that sparingly? I just don't seem to remember!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.