Most Overrated Player to Play for City

I hear what you are saying, but for me he was an important transition from singing players like Tal Ben Haim to your Yaya Toure's and David Silva's pf this world. Basically we had gone 30 years not competing at the top table going back to players like Steve Daley, Trevor Francis both who at the time had been wanted by pretty much all the major clubs

The reason most people especially outside City see him as a failure at the club(I recently saw a video on YouTube that listed him as City's worst ever signing! honestly I can name 30 without thinking about it!!). This perception, in my view comes about for two main reasons the media was desperate for City to fail and Robinho was the first prime target(you only have to look at the abuse Yaya got in the media after signing)and secondly Hughes used the media to cover his own shortcomings as a manager, our away record sucked because we had a lazy Brazilian in the team, when in point of fact our away record sucked with whoever Hughes put in the team and to prove that point he then moved to Fulham and their away record sucked too!
Oh i agree with this, don't get me wrong. But the question was who is the most overrated player, not the worst player. He was a desperate signing for us, as has been detailed by Gary Cook, we literally just needed a name. For example, Kaka was 10x the player that Robinho was and he would have been able to handle the premier league for a longer period. But as a comparison between the two in terms of where they were rated, Robinho was rated much higher at youth and early in his career at Real Madrid than Kaka was at Milan.

Just wait a mo, and put yer book down! Didn't Merson say he'd never heard of him when we bought him? Was it Merson or another clown? There must be summat in it - forget those majestic goals at Wembley, forget the MotM at Newcastle, all the penalties, the total domination of midfield - if Merson hadn't heard of him he mustn't have been much good.

And then there was Porky Parry and his mate on Talksport!

Everything we saw with our own eyes has now been re-written. Lol

Yaya was never moved in because no club could afford his wages. He had an attitude problem and only Pep had the go ahead to drop him. I bet there were contract clauses galore to guarantee him certain things. Like Tevez, his time with us will be forever tainted. Aguero is a legend. Yaya is not.

Yaya was never moved in because no club could afford his wages. He had an attitude problem and only Pep had the go ahead to drop him. I bet there were contract clauses galore to guarantee him certain things. Like Tevez, his time with us will be forever tainted. Aguero is a legend. Yaya is not.

I disagree. Yaya will be talked about by Blues in 50 years time. He is forever a legend of our club.

I see we’ve resorted to re-writing history.

Your longevity and consistency argument may have some credibility, but the thread is about being overrated.

By your own admission and harsh assessment you say he was ‘good’ for 3 seasons.

He wasn’t good.

He was an absolute colossus, a beast, unplayable, immovable, unflappable and a World Class genius......and he wore our shirt.

VK agrees.

We simply cannot and will never agree.
Correct... same with me, and imo you won't get anyone on here that agrees with his opinion of Ya Ya

I disagree. Yaya will be talked about by Blues in 50 years time. He is forever a legend of our club.

The word legend is so overused these days. I look at Kompany, Silva, Aguero and even De Bruyne as legends. Yaya always struck me as having at attitude and also provided some chequered moments.

Fifty years is a bit ambitious. I’m 40 and was maybe 31 when we signed Yaya. Will I be talking about him at 90? I may not be alive!

I actually thought he was a very decent player, but is was a crazy decision by his father to bring him to us in the first place, especially at the cost of crowd favorite Nicky Reids first team place.

He was a decent player tbf but the situation was toxic. Kevin's performances were OK but his Dad had ruined the dressing room is signing "Spec". John Bond was also given a hard time several local players, including Dave Bennett. I recall coming out of Maine Road one Saturday and there was a small protest on the forecourt. It was the time of the Falklands War and we (my Mum, r kid and I) joined the protestors in signing send John Bond to the Argentines doo daa etc.

The word legend is so overused these days. I look at Kompany, Silva, Aguero and even De Bruyne as legends. Yaya always struck me as having at attitude and also provided some chequered moments.

Fifty years is a bit ambitious. I’m 40 and was maybe 31 when we signed Yaya. Will I be talking about him at 90? I may not be alive!

Yaya is up there will Bell as our greatest ever player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.