Clubs furloughing staff

The amount of money pouring into premier league clubs every year and they cant sustain a few months wages for their staff instead the government and tax payer has to take the hit?

There is no money pouring into the Premier League at all at the moment! But there are still huge costs to be met.

As to “a few months”, you don’t know that. None of us do. My bet is that stadiums will not be allowed to reopen until a safe and effective vaccine has been developed, tested and universally administered. And we are at least a year away from that. In the absence of such a vaccine, we will have to inch our way towards herd immunity. And that would take even longer.

How is it a blatant abuse of the system?

Because it’s designed for employers struggling to stay afloat during this crisis. The premier league is the richest league in the world, they can afford to pay staff wages in full especially when they’re paying out pretty much the entirety of the money they’re saving for all they’re staff to a single player weekly.

There is no money pouring into the Premier League at all at the moment! But there are still huge costs to be met.

As to “a few months”, you don’t know that. None of us do. My bet is that stadiums will not be allowed to reopen until a safe and effective vaccine has been developed, tested and universally administered. And we are at least a year away from that. In the absence of such a vaccine, we will have to inch our way towards herd immunity. And that would take even longer.
What about the last twenty years? Maybe spuds and newcastle need a good investigation as to where the money is going If they don't have money in the bank to sustain themselves if they have to shut up shop. Maybe its Levy and Ashley penny pinching with the insurance cover because otherwise they would have been protected by that, I know for a fact that 'pandemic' cover is a nice little premium so I wouldn't put it past them.

No I don't know how long this will go on, but the clubs should have perhaps said 1-3mths covered by us, the rest will be decided at a later point if it comes to that. Spurs found 4mil to pay Levy his yearly wage and he threw himself 3m on top just for good measure so don't start with the clubs dont have the money.

What about the last twenty years? Maybe spuds and newcastle need a good investigation as to where the money is going If they don't have money in the bank to sustain themselves if they have to shut up shop. Maybe its Levy and Ashley penny pinching with the insurance cover because otherwise they would have been protected by that, I know for a fact that 'pandemic' cover is a nice little premium so I wouldn't put it past them.

No I don't know how long this will go on, but the clubs should have perhaps said 1-3mths covered by us, the rest will be decided at a later point if it comes to that. Spurs found 4mil to pay Levy his yearly wage and he threw himself 3m on top just for good measure so don't start with the clubs dont have the money.

Spurs have spent some £1.3 billion on capital projects over the past 8 years. That’s where the money has gone. Along with player wages and other annual costs.

As to Levy’s pay and bonus, that was for the year ending June 2019 - long before the vast majority of us had ever heard of the word coronavirus. It’s a very different world and a very different financial outlook now.

Because it’s designed for employers struggling to stay afloat during this crisis. The premier league is the richest league in the world, they can afford to pay staff wages in full especially when they’re paying out pretty much the entirety of the money they’re saving for all they’re staff to a single player weekly.

You think Spurs (or other clubs) aren’t desperately trying to get the players to agree to a big pay cut?

You think Spurs (or other clubs) aren’t desperately trying to get the players to agree to a big pay cut?

I'm sure they are Jim but the point with that is that any pay cut that may be agreed by the players could fund the wages of the non-playing staff at least for a couple of months instead of furloughing them. Let's not forget that some of the non-playing staff at football clubs may still be needed for a full-time role while all this is going on, but the players aren't doing the main part of their job.

It’s not a question of rules. It’s a question of law. Player contracts are legally binding. Clubs can’t unilaterally decide to cut footballers’ pay. To do so would be a breach of contract. It’s the players themselves who have to volunteer to take pay cuts.

And that’s what they will do. Eventually.
it was tongue in cheek!

Spurs have spent some £1.3 billion on capital projects over the past 8 years. That’s where the money has gone. Along with player wages and other annual costs.

As to Levy’s pay and bonus, that was for the year ending June 2019 - long before the vast majority of us had ever heard of the word coronavirus. It’s a very different world and a very different financial outlook now.
I can't believe you are actually arguing this, quite how anyone thinks anyone other than a premier league club should be paying their staff wages is beyond me.

I couldn't care less when it was, why doesnt he put some money back in to pay the wages? he will get it back next year when the premier league banks a few more billion in tv deals.

It’s not a question of rules. It’s a question of law. Player contracts are legally binding. Clubs can’t unilaterally decide to cut footballers’ pay. To do so would be a breach of contract. It’s the players themselves who have to volunteer to take pay cuts.

And that’s what they will do. Eventually.
And aren’t most "ordinary" workers under a written contract?
Isn’t that legally binding too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.