Running thread

That is excellent. Not that my advice is worth much but I did notice significant improvements when I started to add a few longer distances (even if much slower) and adding a hill run or speed run (fartleks) here and there.

Of course all depends on what your aiming for.
To be honest mate, I’m not that arsed. It’s just my fitness for the day, whole family goes and does it and it gets us out of the house. Such a big park too that you can socially distance pretty easily, bar the odd fucking muppet or family who fails to make room.

I’ve done Heaton Park parkrun 5k route, old route and new route, 14 days running. Seeing how many I can clock up on the trot.

Never done that one, but it’s on the list.
Is it all concrete paths, or is some of it on grass or trail paths?

To be honest mate, I’m not that arsed. It’s just my fitness for the day, whole family goes and does it and it gets us out of the house. Such a big park too that you can socially distance pretty easily, bar the odd fucking muppet or family who fails to make room.

Fair enough mate, its horses for courses. Yes, its a fantastic park and as you say perfect for keeping away from folk and getting out to keep your fitness up. Not a bad spot to have on your door step.

Quite a few people on here talking about their 'times' but you've got to understand that, if you're going for a 'time' whenever you go out for a training run, your fitness will not improve much at all. The way to do it is to focus predominantly on aerobic zone running, i.e. a slow, conversational pace. If you want to get faster and run further, about 80% of your total weekly mileage should be in the aerobic zones where you don't get out of breath at all and at which pace you could easily hold a full conversation for the full duration.

If you're just getting into it, I would make that 100% of mileage actually. If you then want to do some specific speed work, this should be once a week (maybe twice with more experience) but even then, it shouldn't be flat-out chasing 'times' but at a controlled threshold pace or a specific interval session.

You'll thank me later.

Quite a few people on here talking about their 'times' but you've got to understand that, if you're going for a 'time' whenever you go out for a training run, your fitness will not improve much at all. The way to do it is to focus predominantly on aerobic zone running, i.e. a slow, conversational pace. If you want to get faster and run further, about 80% of your total weekly mileage should be in the aerobic zones where you don't get out of breath at all and at which pace you could easily hold a full conversation for the full duration.

If you're just getting into it, I would make that 100% of mileage actually. If you then want to do some specific speed work, this should be once a week (maybe twice with more experience) but even then, it shouldn't be flat-out chasing 'times' but at a controlled threshold pace or a specific interval session.

You'll thank me later.
I'll thank you now. I took this advice from you about a year ago and it transformed my attitude towards, and enjoyment of running.

I remember at a Parkrun, another member of my village running club came to me and started talking. I was going for my tenth successive PB, which I achieved, but I was putting in so much effort that I couldn't talk whilst I was running. Then I read this advice from you, and started running slower, and talked to myself occasionally to test I was going at conversational pace.

Ever since then, my endurance has been much better. I soon switched from 5k training runs to 10k training runs, and before long found them quite easy. A year later and my best distance is 20k, and my average run is 11k. It is more enjoyable, so I am motivated to run more often.

So thanks again @Stuuuuuu, and I would recommend anyone to follow this advice if they are to maintain focus and enjoyment of running.

Started the couch to 5k last week

safe to say my legs are handling it better than my lungs

any tips on breathing correctly while running?
Slow down mate. You shouldn't run hard every time. Amazing things happen in your body when you run but some of those things only happen when you run slow

You'll thank me later.

Yes - this is spot on. A gentle pace run with some music in your ears is a great antidote to this world at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.