COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
600 + deaths reported yesterday and was it 6,000 new cases??

Why are we considering, basically ending lockdown with these numbers. The media are in overdrive to get everything back to normal and ignore what’s going on
The media were banging on for a short while about how we should be in lockdown and now we are they are banging on about coming out of lockdown. Utter clickbait cocks. Can you imagine the outcry if we had had a lockdown like Italy or in Spain. We have had a semi lockdown and many people have ignored it anyway because the punishment was a slap on the wrist. Reference what happened in other countries if lockdown rules were broken. It has been bloody tough here but nothing compared to other countries, the arse has fallen out of my business and I get no help from the government but I would prefer this to having to be on a ventilator or worse.

20% of the workforce are being paid by the state currently.
27 million people.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/05/04/half-adults-now-paid-state/

I've not read your link in detail but the figures are all over the place. First of all the total number of employed people in the UK (across all sectors) is only about 30m.

So 20% of that is 6m, not 27m. And if we are paying 27m people then thats 90% which is clearly wrong. And the article says 50%.

Sounds like a Diane Abbott interview.

She looks fit as fuck.
S-xwXTCc_400x400.jpg

to be fair you don’t need to be a medical expert to see the risk the virus has on the elderly . There should have been a real task force and focus around all Uk care homes to shield them a lot more . People going in and out all day untested is just a nightmare waiting to happen. Could have done a lot better here .
but at least they got a badge.
I was once indirectly involved in a piece of work for the Care Quality Commission. Their primary concern? Staff pay, grading and conditions. If only it were an isolated case in the non-commercial sector.

Government ministers (any government) are basically transient amateurs, reliant on expert support and proactive, assertive advice from career experts in the civil service, QUANGOs and regulatory bodies. That support is generally mediocre, with too many time servers in cushy numbers and senior managers who want gongs and fat pensions. Well, you don’t get a gong for rocking the boat or for championing your cause against bean counters or lairy politicians. Ministers in turn rarely know how to delegate, resorting instead to often ill-conceived targets and, when time are tough, micro management. We’re lucky if planning horizons extend beyond the next wank.

So while it’s fair to blame the government for some of the current incompetence, the whole apparatus is creaky and things would be no better under any other administration.

I’d also bet most of the more cynical posters on here are/were in non frontline, white collar public sector roles with no decision making accountability, and who peep(ed) above the parapet only on social media.

Last edited:
I've not read your link in detail but the figures are all over the place. First of all the total number of employed people in the UK (across all sectors) is only about 30m.

So 20% of that is 6m, not 27m. And if we are paying 27m people then thats 90% which is clearly wrong. And the article says 50%.

Sounds like a Diane Abbott interview.

The 27 million includes public sector workers I believe, topped up with those that are furloughed.

The media here are something else. They really are. Anything to sell a fucking paper.

Imo, lockdown will continue for a further 3 weeks with some light lifting of restrictions, likely centred around being allowed to travel a little further for exercise etc.

The main point of Sunday will be putting out in the public domain the plan over the next 6 weeks or so.

Coming out of a lockdown now will quite literally cost thousands of lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.