COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I have half an ounce of common sense.

So you've not read it then as it includes factual statistics. I'll summarize for you:

0.27% of the population is currently infected, the guideline level for an EPIDEMIC is 0.40%
95% of people dying with covid have a pre-existing condition serious enough to be mentioned as a cause of death on the death certificate
The average victim in Italy and the UK had 3 conditions severe enough to be causes of death on the certificate
You have more chance of being hit by lightening (49 per year in the UK) than to doe of covid if you are under 40 (33 cases)
253 healthy under 60 year old have died of covid, 400 die through drowning a year
Taking into account all covid 19 deaths it is still less 2018 excess winter deaths which was counted as a bad influenza winter

I'm not disagreeing that covid is a serious virus, my point is it has been massively over-egged from day 1 and I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that based on the statistics available. These aren't points of view but factual figures.

I got to the 1st graph and gave up on the article as its just flat out wrong. at no point have we dropped below the 5 year average since we spiked. the week that graph said we dropped to the weekly average we had 8,012 over the 5 year average.

if they cant even get the fundamentals like that right then it removes all reliability from the article.

Last edited:
So you've not read it then as it includes factual statistics. I'll summarize for you:

0.27% of the population is currently infected, the guideline level for an EPIDEMIC is 0.40%
95% of people dying with covid have a pre-existing condition serious enough to be mentioned as a cause of death on the death certificate
The average victim in Italy and the UK had 3 conditions severe enough to be causes of death on the certificate
You have more chance of being hit by lightening (49 per year in the UK) than to doe of covid if you are under 40 (33 cases)
253 healthy under 60 year old have died of covid, 400 die through drowning a year
Taking into account all covid 19 deaths it is still less 2018 excess winter deaths which was counted as a bad influenza winter

I'm not disagreeing that covid is a serious virus, my point is it has been massively over-egged from day 1 and I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that based on the statistics available. These aren't points of view but factual figures.

Yeah I’ve read it but i can’t find the crayons anywhere.

I got to the 1st graph and gave up on the article as just flat out wrong. at no point have we dropped below the 5 year average since we spiked. the week that graph said we dropped to the weekly average we had 8,012 over the 5 year average.

if they cant even get the fundamentals like that right then it removes all reliability from the article.

Fair point. I recall that graph being used slightly underhanded on here (and unpicked) but I'm not fully certain.

Is that what the Critic mag is? Should check my sources more thoroughly. A counterpoint at the very least.
Unsurprisingly there's a lot of that about at the moment as people just want answers or a way back to normality via a silver bullet.

As a slight aside does everyone remember when school kids were taking one day off for the Greta Thunberg environmental awareness day? The govt proclaiming how bad just one day off would be for their education?
I have worries about my youngest son (age 9). It's incredibly difficult for him to do any form of homework (or at least for me or his mum to enforce). The only way I could work round this is to build lots of stuff with him: Papier Mache viking boats & helmets supplemented with a google shared doc in written form. Next up a 3 foot long titanic. We also built garden furniture from old bits of wood and pallets. I got him on the power tools (safely guided of course), measuring (maths), painting (art) and the sense of pride when it's complete. We do bike rides when we can but there's this sense he's missing out on the social & educational side of school and is pretty much locked down on Roblox.

great point on Greta Thunberg environmental day (which was actually very educational for kids) but gammons everywhere outraged kids were not in school for a day.

It wasn’t over egged. Nobody knew what the fuck they were dealing with as it hadn’t been seen before so caution was warranted in order to preserve lives.
Just because a few dickheads like yourself have been claiming from day one it’s not serious or similar to getting the flu doesn’t make it so.
Now we are getting to grips with the situation and deaths are falling doesn’t mean you were correct however much you bang on about it.
Let’s just hope that over the next few months the world will start to get back to some normality so we can get our lives back.
Rest assured though, play down the seriousness of the virus at your peril. It spreads quickly and kills a good chunk of those unfortunate enough to catch it.

Fair point. I recall that graph being used slightly underhanded on here (and unpicked) but I'm not fully certain.

the graph on from that article being used underhandedly or the graph I post each week being used underhandedly?

I post a graph each week that is just the raw data from the ONS for the last 10 years. it doesn't show the 5 year average line though but I track that too.

this is the 5 year average and this year.

5year-Avarage-Deaths-Week20.png

It wasn’t over egged. Nobody knew what the fuck they were dealing with as it hadn’t been seen before so caution was warranted in order to preserve lives.
Just because a few dickheads like yourself have been claiming from day one it’s not serious or similar to getting the flu doesn’t make it so.
Now we are getting to grips with the situation and deaths are falling doesn’t mean you were correct however much you bang on about it.
Let’s just hope that over the next few months the world will start to get back to some normality so we can get our lives back.
Rest assured though, play down the seriousness of the virus at your peril. It spreads quickly and kills a good chunk of those unfortunate enough to catch it.

So the prediction by Neil Ferguson of 500k dying wasn't over egged? Even he changed his mind a few days later.

It is serious, no doubting that. But is it serious enough to devastate the country for years to come, massively impact children's well-being and education and lead to countless deaths from suicide, cancer etc? Clearly any pandemic is a shite situation and whichever route you take it's going to have a huge impact on people. Looking at this particular virus it's clear that we have handled it wrong. Those who are fit and healthy shouldn't have been locked down and those who are elderly or have serious medical conditions should have been protected better.

Your final point about it killing a good chunk of those who catch it is garbage unless you are counting 0.5% or whatever it turns out to be as a big chunk.

I’m starting to agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.