Kalidou Koulibaly

You say Bastoni is our only target at centre back, besides inter not wanting to sell, do you think Bastoni would want to go from being a starter at a club back on the rise to someone who will essentially only play if Laporte is unavailable or cup games. I know you mention a back 3 but I feel that’s more of an option than what we will play regularly. Do you know what the plan would be if we aren’t able to get Bastoni?
we have two full backs who can't defend.
(Mendy, Cancelo)

we have two inverted wingers.
(Sterling, Mahrez)

Laporte in the middle of a Back 3 would give great stability to the 2 CB either sides of him.

our two best left footed defenders are injury prone.
("Laporte", Mendy)

Kyle Walker Is amazing at defending counter-attacks but useless in possession.

but a 29 year old right footed Centre-Back is going to fix all of our problems.

There's not a single technical trait you can talk about because there isn't any. It's yet another futile attempt at justifying your point when you say he's made mistakes, all defenders do including Koulibaly, VVD and Laporte, however even Pep said Garcia doesn't make mistakes and that's what makes him as good as he is, it's a lazy argument to throw at a young player.

Physicality you have a valid point, he's not the biggest or quickest but that's a very small part of the game, he more than makes up for that with his reading of the game.

If Pep thought Garcia was good enough to start he wouldn’t have gone after a 1st choice CB last summer or this.

I like Garcia and there’s potential but it’s certainly not a given he will go on to be good enough to start for us. Pep has said similar things about Foden in the past but he still doesn’t think he’s good enough to be an automatic starter.

Nobody is saying it’s an age thing other than you, if Eric Garcia was in a 19 year old Micah Richards body he may well be ready to start for us. In the premier league reading the game well won’t be enough for a centre half he’s going to have to develop a bit more physically which he will likely do in time.

(Mendy, Cancelo)

(Sterling, Mahrez)

Laporte in the middle of a Back 3 would give great stability to the 2 CB either sides of him.

("Laporte", Mendy)

Who says it is going to fix all our problems and that the club won't address them beyond signing him?

We have a serious issue at CB and that is immediately remedied by signing Koulibaly in that he's a world class partner for Laporte and is equally comfortable playing on the left when the latter is unavailable.

We can faff around signing an Italian John Stones and hope he lives up to his potential, or we can sign one of the worlds best in his prime, likely for not a significant chunk more money than what Inter would ask for. Absolute no brainer in my eyes.

We obviously have other issues, but I'm sure Pep and the club are very aware of those.

Last edited:
It's all about £££ - the ultimate deciding factor. If the price is right, absolutely not. If it's extortionate, yes.

And before someone chimes in to state that it's the clubs' money and not ours, you can guarantee the club think exactly the same.

This is a fair point mate. My hope with this transfer is that Napoli are unlikely to qualify for the CL. It's also a post Covid market so I'm unsure how they can demand a massive fee?

If Pep thought Garcia was good enough to start he wouldn’t have gone after a 1st choice CB last summer or this.

I like Garcia and there’s potential but it’s certainly not a given he will go on to be good enough to start for us. Pep has said similar things about Foden in the past but he still doesn’t think he’s good enough to be an automatic starter.

Nobody is saying it’s an age thing other than you, if Eric Garcia was in a 19 year old Micah Richards body he may well be ready to start for us. In the premier league reading the game well won’t be enough for a centre half he’s going to have to develop a bit more physically which he will likely do in time.
You said he's not "good enough" yet. You've not mentioned a single technical trait, you say it's not age, so what is it? If you think a player can't be "good enough" purely because of his physical stature then it just makes me think old school 1980's mindset.

(Mendy, Cancelo)

(Sterling, Mahrez)

("Laporte", Mendy)

Laporte isn't injury prone, he's had 1 bad impact injury

(Mendy, Cancelo)

(Sterling, Mahrez)

("Laporte", Mendy)

Are you on crack?
Most people tolerate your nonsense which is fine but Laporte injury prone he missed 2 games with a muscle injury before this season!
Granted this year he had a bad injury but if he's injury prone the Stones must need putting down.

(Mendy, Cancelo)

(Sterling, Mahrez)

("Laporte", Mendy)

I don't know why you're worried mate, after all you know exactly who's coming and that Koulibaly isn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.