#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. There was plenty of space last night and that is a rarity and why we were able to pick them off. No other Premier league team would play that way against us. To be honest I don’t even think Liverpool would have if it was a game in normal circumstances. Mahrez would have loved that space as would Aguero. In normal games against parked buses Mahrez’s ability to beat a man in a tight space or score from distance is a vital asset to us. Yes he can over do it at times but it’s difficult to have it both ways. He’s having an excellent season.
That’s been the case for 8/9 years and we’ve had a number of seasons in that time where we’ve attacked a lot better than this season. Mahrez has had a really good season, the team hasn’t.

I wonder if he could play as a CF. He definitely has the technical ability and is a great finisher. Don’t know about his movement though.

That’s been the case for 8/9 years and we’ve had a number of seasons in that time where we’ve attacked a lot better than this season. Mahrez has had a really good season, the team hasn’t.

True and to be honest I’d rather we played Sterling on the right with left sided attacker comfortable taking on and beating fullbacks on the outside. I’d also prefer two number 8’s who can press so KDB and Foden. Pep has decided to move away from that and wants inverted wingers and sometimes 2 Sitting midfielders. I think we’re much less fluid this way and don’t really look any better defensively in fact we’re more open to counters. None of that is Mhahrez’s fault though and as an inverted right sided attacker he’s been very good this season.

True and to be honest I’d rather we played Sterling on the right with left sided attacker comfortable taking on and beating fullbacks on the outside. I’d also prefer two number 8’s who can press so KDB and Foden. Pep has decided to move away from that and wants inverted wingers and sometimes 2 Sitting midfielders. I think we’re much less fluid this way and don’t really look any better defensively in fact we’re more open to counters. None of that is Mhahrez’s fault though and as an inverted right sided attacker he’s been very good this season.
Agreed.

And i’m Not blaming Mahrez at all, it is what it is.

Mahrez is a brilliant player and is getting better all the time. He has developed a great understanding with KDB and has played a major role in many of our best victories this season. We are lucky to have him and I love watching the lad play....the end...haha!!!.

Going back to Pep's first season with us we all said that we needed a player that would give us plan B when teams had 10 men sat behind the ball. Indeed that was a pattern under Pellegrini as well. The idea was having someone who was different and that could change the dimension of our attacks. We bought Mahrez to fulfil that role and I, like many others, thought it was a great bit of business. The title winning teams of the next two years had Mahrez not being a first choice and I recall Pep saying he was sorry he hadn't had the minutes he deserved. We had Sterling and Sane attacking with pace and power coupled with prime Silva and Ferna in midfield. The following year when Kev got injured Bernardo stepped up - he was unbelievable - think about his performances against Liverpool which were perpetual motion and quality.

This year Riyad has become a regular and has had a decent season no one can deny that - some of his quality is top drawer but I for one have an issue that I struggle to get past. There are times when he goes missing for long periods in a game. He also is far too greedy and those who say he is clinical in front of goal - I just don't see that when you consider the positions he gets the ball in. Tonight was classic Mahrez - I don't think he dribbled past a defender more that once and on that one occasion he chose to shoot from a tight angle rather than pass. When we bought him we knew he wasn't the type to tackle back so we can't have complaints about that side of his game. Indeed Sane didn't work at times, he just seemed far more devastating when we attacked.

I know there will be many who will disagree strongly with the above and we can look at goals scored, defensive errors etc. I really don't want to sound as though I don't like him as a player because it's clear he has an abundance of qualities - Perhaps he is the right player at the wrong time?

I also know that we still have the chance to win the CL and FA cup - something that would be incredible and I would love it if he proved me wrong and really made the difference in those final two or hopefully four huge games. He has the talent, but I am left with the feeling that Riyad has some brilliant moments but not enough. So don't shoot the messenger, it is only my opinion and one that could be wrong - after all Pep picks him more than most so perhaps I don't see what I think I see ha!

He's had a better season but we're a worse team for him being in. Not his fault, we just need to get back to 2 genuine wingers if we ever want to get back our best. Pep's too stubborn to do so though so we'll keep stumbling along.

Going back to Pep's first season with us we all said that we needed a player that would give us plan B when teams had 10 men sat behind the ball. Indeed that was a pattern under Pellegrini as well. The idea was having someone who was different and that could change the dimension of our attacks. We bought Mahrez to fulfil that role and I, like many others, thought it was a great bit of business. The title winning teams of the next two years had Mahrez not being a first choice and I recall Pep saying he was sorry he hadn't had the minutes he deserved. We had Sterling and Sane attacking with pace and power coupled with prime Silva and Ferna in midfield. The following year when Kev got injured Bernardo stepped up - he was unbelievable - think about his performances against Liverpool which were perpetual motion and quality.

This year Riyad has become a regular and has had a decent season no one can deny that - some of his quality is top drawer but I for one have an issue that I struggle to get past. There are times when he goes missing for long periods in a game. He also is far too greedy and those who say he is clinical in front of goal - I just don't see that when you consider the positions he gets the ball in. Tonight was classic Mahrez - I don't think he dribbled past a defender more that once and on that one occasion he chose to shoot from a tight angle rather than pass. When we bought him we knew he wasn't the type to tackle back so we can't have complaints about that side of his game. Indeed Sane didn't work at times, he just seemed far more devastating when we attacked.

I know there will be many who will disagree strongly with the above and we can look at goals scored, defensive errors etc. I really don't want to sound as though I don't like him as a player because it's clear he has an abundance of qualities - Perhaps he is the right player at the wrong time?

I also know that we still have the chance to win the CL and FA cup - something that would be incredible and I would love it if he proved me wrong and really made the difference in those final two or hopefully four huge games. He has the talent, but I am left with the feeling that Riyad has some brilliant moments but not enough. So don't shoot the messenger, it is only my opinion and one that could be wrong - after all Pep picks him more than most so perhaps I don't see what I think I see ha!
I think he's been brilliant this year and by far our second best player this season behind KDB. Definitely top 5 in the league this season for me.

How many times does he get a full-back helping him out in attack? him and Sterling?

they are left to face a 3v1 or 2v1 the majority of most games.

He's had a better season but we're a worse team for him being in. Not his fault, we just need to get back to 2 genuine wingers if we ever want to get back our best. Pep's too stubborn to do so though so we'll keep stumbling along.
No David Silva = even with Natural Wingers,
It won't work.

Sam Lee explained it well on his Article.
https://t.co/aqcBYh9bDC?amp=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.