Why can’t we produce a decent striker?

LongsightM13

One massive failing of our academy, and before that our youth team, is that we can’t seem to produce decent strikers/centre forwards. Who was the last one we produced who had a significant impact in the first team? Can’t think of anyone after Sheron or Moulden. Kelechi maybe though he was soon let go when it became apparent he wasn’t top class.
It is a real blind spot compared to united.
Had high hopes for Thierry Ambrose at one stage but a couple of terrible injuries at the wrong time seemed to stall his development. He has now left the club.
Hopefully Liam Delap can finally be the one, like what I’ve seen so far.
But what could be the reason? Poor scouting? Inadequate coaching? Do we prioritise other positions? Or just unlucky?
It’s a strange one for sure

Sturridge was decent enough.

The rags stumbled on Rashford in an emergency and he hit the ground running. Greenwood granted, but a lot of top strikers have their time at smaller sides playing regularly and flourish after a few seasons. The likes of Owen are far rarer.

I know what you mean. Other teams like Chelsea seem to produce physical specimens in all depts. We produce great little midfielders that don't go onto to anything outstanding. Maybe Delap will be ok, but he isn't massive. I have read we are getting a big lad from Rangers - 6ft 3in at 15!

The rags stumbled on Rashford in an emergency and he hit the ground running. Greenwood granted, but a lot of top strikers have their time at smaller sides playing regularly and flourish after a few seasons. The likes of Owen are far rarer.
Yeah we didn’t really see enough of Sturridge, he had been tapped up by Chelsea long before he left, wonder how his career might have panned out if he had become a starter with us rather than a benchwarmer

Yeah Rashford was a happy accident for them, a bit like Spurs with Bale (as a winger rather than a mediocre left back) and Kane, who has several underwhelming loan moves, they only really got a chance because of an injury crisis

I know what you mean. Other teams like Chelsea seem to produce physical specimens in all depts. We produce great little midfielders that don't go onto to anything outstanding. Maybe Delap will be ok, but he isn't massive. I have read we are getting a big lad from Rangers - 6ft 3in at 15!

yeah, our academy isn't really churning at the same level given our profile type compared to Chelsea, who have brought through Abraham, Loftus-Cheek, James, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Gilmour, Christensen before even considering their sales, so they're doing something better than us in that transition to first team or having better resale value. Feel we lost an opportunity with the trio of Sancho, Foden and Diaz to come through together but we obviously have a different philosophy. Don't think it serves us as well as it should.

Fwiw, I really do think Liam Delap is the real deal. He won't push on though without chances. If we don't give him room for growth, he's fucked. That's on us. I think largely clubs are a bit reluctant to give strikers a go from the academy. I think its because goals = points, and it's seen as a huge risk.

We've produced 1 player in 15 years.

Why not ask why we can't produce fullbacks, defensive midfielders or goalkeepers?

If you're including Kelechi as an academy player it seems to me that we actually have produced a decent striker (as opposed to almost every other position). He obviously isn't good enough to play for us but in general I think you'd be pretty thrilled to regularly produce actual Premier League quality players that sell for £20m.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.