Why can’t we produce a decent striker?

If you're including Kelechi as an academy player it seems to me that we actually have produced a decent striker (as opposed to almost every other position). He obviously isn't good enough to play for us but in general I think you'd be pretty thrilled to regularly produce actual Premier League quality players that sell for £20m.
What age was Kelechi when we signed him? Can’t remember but think he might already have been 17

We've produced 1 player in 15 years.

Why not ask why we can't produce fullbacks, defensive midfielders or goalkeepers?
We’ve produced plenty of players in other positions throughout our history but strikers have always been a problem. Neil Young might be the only top class homegrown striker we produced in 50 years

Kasper Schmeichel

Ched Evans

Daniel Sturridge

Michael Johnson

Stephen Ireland

Nedum Onuoha

Micah Richards

Is this list suppose to prove something?

There's 2 players who came through after about 2005/2006 in that list and one is Ched Evans.

Foden is the first academy player to start 10 league games for City since Micah in 2012, and he came through the academy in 2005.

We can worry about why we haven't produced a striker when there's 3 or 4 kids in the squad.

Last edited:
The bar is much higher, which is a long way to being part of the problem these kids have. Players like those in @Shirley's post above mostly came in at a time we were shit. Especially SWP. If we were skint and shit i'm sure a lot of our kids would be getting more starts, but as with most of those named above, they're not good enough at the very top level. It looks like only Phil is good enough at that level, in the history of the academy. Can't really include Garcia as he came from Barca.

It is an interesting point though, that considering most kids want to be a striker, English clubs haven't produced top quality strikers in quite a while. It's not just us.

The bar is much higher, which is a long way to being part of the problem these kids have. Players like those in @Shirley's post above mostly came in at a time we were shit. Especially SWP. If we were skint and shit i'm sure a lot of our kids would be getting more starts, but as with most of those named above, they're not good enough at the very top level. It looks like only Phil is good enough at that level, in the history of the academy. Can't really include Garcia as he came from Barca.

It is an interesting point though, that considering most kids want to be a striker, English clubs haven't produced top quality strikers in quite a while. It's not just us.
A lot of kids want to be playmakers and wingers now, assists were never a thing when I was growing up but I go to watch my nephew’s team and it’s all they seem to talk about

Is this list suppose to prove something?

There's 2 players who came through after about 2005/2006 in that list and one is Ched Evans.

Foden is the first academy player to start 10 league games for City since Micah in 2012, and he came through the academy in 2005.

We can worry about why we haven't produced a striker when there's 3 or 4 kids in the squad.

Actually more than 2 but it's splitting hairs, I get your point.

Kasper Schmeichel Debut: West Ham United, A, 11/08/2007

Ched Evans Debut: Norwich City, H, 25/09/2007

Daniel Sturridge Debut: Reading, H, 03/02/2007

Michael Johnson Debut: Wigan Athletic, A, 21/10/2006

Stephen Ireland Debut: Bolton Wanderers, H, 18/09/2005

Nedum Onuoha Debut: Arsenal, H, 27/10/2004

Micah Richards Debut: Arsenal, A, 22/10/2005

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.