Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

Indeed. We are a mess at the back.I don’t know how things are going to change enough for next season to be much different defensively.
Can I just remind people that we had the second best defence in the League with only 2 more goals conceded than the Dippers with Ederson winning the Golden Glove award. I wouldn't call that an absolute mess?

I’m still a massive Pep fan. I’ve forgiven him already. But he massively fucked up tonight. I don’t think we’d have got past Bayern though, so I’m over it already. Just hope he can get the right moves in the transfer market. Onwards and upwards.

You think Fernandinho was playing in midfield? Did you watch the game?

NO i dont think he was playing in midfield but as part of a central group of players he was very very poor and par tof the slow tempo of our play

Rodri and Gubdogan pairing has been talked about before as well - its not a good paring - we only need one of them andfor me it should be rodri if it has to be one fo them

Having calmed down a bit, I'm looking back 8 days to that game against Real Madrid, one of the best games I've seen us play. We hounded them all over the field and could easily beat any of their presses.

Yet tonight was the complete opposite. Our pressing when not in possession was almost non-existent and we seemed consistently incapable of playing out of Lyon's press. It's completely baffling.
Hardly baffling, we disposed of a lot of our energy, Foden for example.

You think Fernandinho was playing in midfield? Did you watch the game?
Whatever, we had 3 ponderous slow players at the centre of our game. It killed us. We were a bit unluckly and didn't get the breaks but if your coach make such a mistake you deserve to be completely hammered.

Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s the first time Fernandinho Rodri and Gundogan have all started a game together.

I honestly think Ferdy is now past it. He has been a legend but is just too pedestrian. He should be a sub at best. It was the wrong team and formation and most of us called it before the game. Pep is a genius but tonight's result was mostly self-inflicted apart from the routine bent VAR decision. I agree that Pep has to take most of the blame for this one.
he is past it now. Should be moved in to a coaching role

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.