Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

Pep picked all the wrong starters tonight. Not the right 11 to start that match. Was more a team to play them next week at our place. Never really criticised this manager but that was all to fuck

Pep bottled it. Also we've two big game players in this team - Aguero and Kev. Everyone else is world class when the going's good, but wank when it gets tough.
Bit harsh on Sterling I think. Yes he can bottle it at times but he can also be a genuine matchwinner at times.

Generally agree about the rest.

If we’d have started with the team that was on the pitch when we equalised, the match would have been already won and the gift wrapped opportunity we gave UEFA to get their revenge would have been of no consequence

How can a coach who is so brilliant and experienced and gets paid god knows how much to win these games get it so wrong?

Is there nobody in his back room staff or even any of the players that could have pointed out he was sending us stumbling blindly into a catastrophe. I reckon 90% of us lot, even after a skinful of beer pre match, saw this coming when we saw the team
I find it hard to argue against any of your points. The writing was on the fucking wall.

Pep bottled it. Also we've two big game players in this team - Aguero and Kev. Everyone else is world class when the going's good, but wank when it gets tough.

Unfair imo.

Raz may have missed a sitter but other than that he was fantastic.. he broke though held the ball up loads but options were so few and far between because they were sitting on the bench and we were playing a parked bus.

Pep is to blame.. I think the team that started against Madrid win by 3 or 4 tonight.

Last edited:
Can I just remind people that we had the second best defence in the League with only 2 more goals conceded than the Dippers with Ederson winning the Golden Glove award. I wouldn't call that an absolute mess?
True, but we do give away some absolutely shocking goals. Think maybe the defensive stats are padded a bit by the fact that we completely dominate possession against most sides. Whenever we're put under a bit of pressure, we rarely stand up to it. maybe I'm being harsh, but I can't really think of our last really impressive defensive display?

A shit show from start to finish just not good enough for a game of this magnitude. Pep got it wrong I think we can all agree but the biggest issue for me is the lack of leaders we have when the going gets tough. We play some great stuff when we are 2 or 3 up but go a goal down or when things aren’t going great and we fold it’s a common problem that needs addressing. This transfer window we need some proper bollocks adding to this squad and ship out the players that just don’t cut it. We need to be more ruthless with this team and not let some of them live on past achievements we all can see certain players just aren’t up to the required level physically or mentally just need Pep to not be so loyal and get them out. He also needs to extend his contract for the rebuild or walk and we get someone else in.

Not if we played to our strengths and no compromises. Why have we changed the way we play for a weaker team, its the equivalent of rearranging our whole midfield because we are playing the mighty Leicester city.

I know they’ve had some churn of players since, but they weren’t weaker than us last time.
It dismayed me a bit before the game, BT bigging us up as overwhelming favourites to win this game. Not in my mind we weren't; I always thought it would be a close thing, esp after they dispatched the Italian champions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.