#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaelumstash

Every single minute of every Champions League game.

While David Silva, Bernado Silva and Phil Foden remain on the bench.

Is this part of Gundogan’s renewed contract?

Is it Pep being stubborn and trying to prove himself right, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Is it just a blind spot?

Do his coaches / Txiki even dare to raise the question to him, or is Pep’s opinion now completely sacred and beyond reproach?

Like I said on another thread Pep looks at stats and possession stats and pass completion Gundogan keeps it very simple receives ball passes the ball a yard or two he can’t tackle and once a player gets by him that’s it he useless.

Pep in champs league should look at stats for assist energy and tracking players. Cup games possession is good but not the be all.

Him and Rodri are different players but have the same problem within the context of the team - they need players with legs around them. It worked v Madrid because Foden played and ran 10km in 60 minutes. It didn’t work v Lyon because they didn’t have Foden/Beranardo playing in front of them and they had Garcia/Fernandinho behind them.

I wish we had a perfect enough squad so that we had 2 DMs, 2 left-footed CMs, 2 right-footed CMs and this guy as a midfield wildcard.

But since with Pep he will always be first choice, I think we should move him as soon as possible. He's not a bad player and he is quite a professional guy who doesn't cause problems in the dressing room, he's just quite ineffective and unthreatening towards the opposition. Now that Leroy is gone I think he should follow on his footsteps.

Alternatively, we all have a blind spot to Gundogan and cannot see that the legs/form/touch of the other three are not what Guardiola required. He’s the boss and has made the decisions. He’s made other tactical selections that have been equally as baffling.

He’s asked for a squad of players that could all be comfortable in his system. But, unsurprisingly, he returns to those players who are most comfortable in his system, and those who are less comfortable receive peripheral roles, at best.

Every manager has their teacher’s pet, that one player they trust implicitly and select repeatedly, even when everyone and everything else suggests they don't deserve to be. As long as Pep is here then Gundogan will be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.