#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wonderful player and the traditional scapegoat required by many after a defeat. I find constant references to his 'poor' performances both embarrassing and nauseating, in equal measure.

I`m not scapegoating him after a defeat. I looked at the team and thought we`d struggle with the team that was selected. I feel we can`t play him, Rodri and Fern in the same team in the positions they were played. Thats feeling before the game isn`t a 1 off its happen quite often this season that we would struggle.

The collect wtf on the coach to home games or the coach to away games if people struggle to comprehend Peps team selections. In all honest the vast majority of the time the feeling we would struggle was a correct one.

As for Gundogan I think he`s timid which is possible down to his two near career threatening injuries and needs too many touches which slows our play down.

It`s not his fault, he does pick himself.

I think people are vastly overcomplicating this.

David Silva couldn't run anymore.

Bernardo and Phil are not Silva replacements yet - they don't hold onto the ball and pass 100 times a game and let us establish that continuous possession in the opponents 1/3rd that's the defining feature of Pep's City. That's why Pep puts them on the wing instead.

Gundogan was the only one who can do that job in Silva's absence.

We'll buy Aouar and Gundogan will be back on the bench.

I agree with all that and it’s what pep sees I think sometimes in knockout games you need to gamble and lose that control pep always likes for a more of a end to end game but hey Pep best manager ever I know nothing it’s just a point and my opinion.

Gundogan is not a attacking midfielder and goes hiding when it gets tough, never makes space and wants for the ball never gives the wide man a options sterling the other night made many runs and got the ball but Gundogan never once help him out and taking the ball off him

pep system is very top heavy up front and going forward ? the holding midfield player have to work very hard because others pack the midfield knowing only 1 will be holding ? or 2 when better teams play city, only fernandinho can do that role in the city squad and pep plays him at centre back all season ?

Gundogan does not fill me with hope and does he ever stand out in this team and takes his place on form ??
pep must see something ? but i know when pep changes the system and plays Gundogan in that role in the bigger games we struggle ? so results and defeats will stand out like the other night

i understand pep view on the defence and playing 3 at the back but having Gundogan and Rodri in the midfield was a puzzle ? both had poor games and not one of them got hold of the game and took it on and drive the team forward

there used to be this old fashion system in football that many never understood outside of the game ? it was called 5 and 5 ?, 5 defence 5 attacking ? simple basic rules you had to work with, a balance attack with defending a line

but modern day managers and pep took the basic setup and put it in the bin ? but that good old fashion setup of 5 and 5 others use against us works so well ? it makes us look silly at times ? for me its know your role ? don't ask players to do something they just don't understand in the biggest game of the year ? right back at left back ? 3 at the back ? KDB up front ? and asking Rodri and Gundogan to play the david silva role ?

Every single minute of every Champions League game.

While David Silva, Bernado Silva and Phil Foden remain on the bench.

Is this part of Gundogan’s renewed contract?

Is it Pep being stubborn and trying to prove himself right, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Is it just a blind spot?

Do his coaches / Txiki even dare to raise the question to him, or is Pep’s opinion now completely sacred and beyond reproach?

Apart from the fact Foden,Merlin and Bernardo are totally different players who play different roles to Gundogan , all three of the players mentioned play as a number ten or can drift wide and are in the team to create , Gundogan doesnt and never will , he is in the team to hold the ball and rotate and retain possession and give the ball to the player who can create , commonly known as a "water carrier" these type of players do not recieve the plaudits , in fact some fans actually despise them
Not sure if you have noticed in the four seasons Pep has been here , his whole game plan is about ball retention and Gundogan alongside Merlin is the best at it.

As I said on the Gundogan thread, he's not the problem. He's an excellent passer and was brilliant for us in the title run-in last year.

The problem is playing Rodri, Gudogan and Fernandinho in the same side. On Saturday we only had 3 attacking/flair players out of 11 - even De Bruyne, Sterling and Jesus aren't that good - i.e. good enough to do everything themselves in the attacking third.

Two days later I'm still scratching my head trying to work out how Pep thought that would work against a team as good a Lyon. And why didn't he change things after 20/25 mins?

I think people are vastly overcomplicating this.

David Silva couldn't run anymore.

Bernardo and Phil are not Silva replacements yet - they don't hold onto the ball and pass 100 times a game and let us establish that continuous possession in the opponents 1/3rd that's the defining feature of Pep's City. That's why Pep puts them on the wing instead.

Gundogan was the only one who can do that job in Silva's absence.

We'll buy Aouar and Gundogan will be back on the bench.

hope so

Not sure why Gundogan always gets it in the neck when sometimes the whole team are abysmal , its a trait of football fans world wide , someone to hate , before he even steps on the pitch he is vilified on here , we have had hate figures over the years Richard Edghill being the stand out example for me.

But at least our hate figures quality has improved German international , euro champs wiinner , bundesliga winner , premier league winner , and other multiple trophies , Richard Edghill won f*ck all.

He isnt the only one that get s it though

Sterling and Jesus have both come under pressure at different points of the season, you have also forgotten about FFS Marhez! Mendy has been rightly questioned as well...so its not exactly like he is a scapegoat

But this is a thread about Gundogan so it would seem right to be discussing him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.