Bluemoon Angling Thread

I went out again today for an evening session and decided to roll meat again for the Ribble barbel after my weekend success. I had to rush around at work, then I had a gym slot, so like an idiot I forgot the check the weather forecast. Just as I crawled up the M6 towards Preston about 4.30pm I saw a huge weather front coming in and I knew I’d fucked up not bringing the brolly. I almost turned around but decided I’d travelled too far.

I walked a mile or so to the top of the stretch and the rain started just as I cast. I didn’t even have a coat, just jeans and a thick fleece. Rain sponges. After half an hour with no action I moved downstream to an area where the channel runs close in. The sky darkened and the drizzle turned to proper rain. I had a strong feeling what would happen as it’s far from the first time: barbel love gloomy weather. They were hear and I started to get bites. First one I missed, the second was a small barbel around 4lb. Barbel are the only species where anglers like to catch small ones as they don’t spawn well and it bodes well for the future.

Next cast I hooked a lump which raced downstream like a bonefish in the shallow water. I turned it and the battle raged but after a minute or two of to-and-froing the hook pulled. The rain was now torrential and my fleece was soaking it all up but I couldn’t leave. I was feeling plucks most runs down. It could only have been a cast or two later and I was into another big fish which reached a snag quickly but I freed it. A great scrap again in the shallow water but this time I was the winner with a fish of 8lb 9oz. I fished on for another half hour but was utterly drenched by now, right through to my underpants so I called it a day and was back at the car at 7.20pm.

I suspect my catches have improved with rolling meat on this busy section is that every single angler is doing the same thing with stationary baits and they’ve wised up. Anyway, I’m home now with beers ready and the barbel were worth the drenching. Here’s the bigger one:
Nice fish mate. You look a bit damp right enough. Need windscreen wipers for your specs in that weather!

Well done mate. That luncheon meat looks interesting. Krill boilies are very effective for carp and barbel. The 46lber I showed last week was caught on them and pellets soaked in Krill oil.
I concur. My mate was working for Bait-Tech and helped develop krill products a few years back. He put me into 20mm Krill pellets and gave me a glug. Tried them on the Wye 3 seasons ago and had Barbel crawling up the rod, almost a bite a chuck. Fish have most probably cottoned on to them on high pressured waters but I highly recommend using Krill bait products.

Been using Sonu baits 14mm spicy sausage pellets this season and they have worked well the few times I've managed to go fishing.

I'm after a bivvy and bed chair if anyone is selling in good condition at a fair price.

What sort of elastic / line / hooklength are you going with on the margin pole? I've got 2 power top two kits on mine (with pullers). I've put a pretty brutal 18-22 MAP elastic in one but wonder about something a bit lighter for more all round purposes in the other. I've landed double figure carp on an 8 elastic, 2lb bottom / 20 hook on my old 12m pole but it must take about 40 mins of letting them bounce on the elastic and full pole length before being ready for the net like that.

To be honest mate the Margin pole I am using came already elasticated. I think it is 18-20 solid on that top kit. The rig was a 4g dibber float, 8 lb mainline, 6 lb hook length .

IMG-9223.jpg

Lovely bit of water that. How does that work though. Do you cast to rising fish or blind cast? Have you got an oarsman to keep the boat exactly where you need it? I can imagine fishing from a boat in fast moving water is quite challenging.
we normally take it in turns to row, cast to what's feeding at the time.The boats have leg supports in them to help with moving around, person in the front always casts forward, mind you you still get tangled occasionally

we normally take it in turns to row, cast to what's feeding at the time.The boats have leg supports in them to help with moving around, person in the front always casts forward, mind you you still get tangled occasionally
We control the boat by a drogue. Still water must be a damn sight easier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.