COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have an increase in suicides because people cannot go to the pub past 10pm - I'd really start to question the mental wellbeing of society at large. People are still able to get help, you cannot totally lay the blame of someone taking their own life at the feet of others.

completely fails to understand whats behind it

maybe it was the thought of six more months with the threat of another enforced lockdown rather than 10pm closing, whatever, pretty insensitive comment given the nature of the post you were reacting to (not the one you replied to)

It wasn't supposed to be insensitive, I to have lost friends to suicide. I think I'm just trying to get people to calm down a bit as people seem to be getting a bit wound up and think mass suicides are going to suddenly start happening. People were struggling with mental health before this and will be afterwards, it's not a new issue for society to tackle.

From what I understand, since the original lockdown we have not actually seen any big deviation in suicides in the country. Keeping in mind that the highest months for suicide are also Spring/Summer as well, which surprised me.
I think we have a massive problem with mental health in the community regardless of this economic stress and current situation. It's much more nuanced than just people losing jobs or being put under financial stress. Which can happen at any time.
The last lockdown was funded by the government, the next looks like it won't be.
This is going to cause more job loses and more stress

Part of the problem is a massively underfunded health sector and this has been caused by years of conservative voting.

I don't even class them as a friend really - that was to come - but just to get in a message around the team that its happened and requesting we be respectful is just a slap in the face. As I say just brings this hme to me.
Andy was an old friend. He'd had mental health problems for years but covid sent him over the edge. Really shit. I might jump on here talking about numbers, but I know people who've died and I never forget what the numbers represent.

It wasn't supposed to be insensitive, I to have lost friends to suicide. I think I'm just trying to get people to calm down a bit as people seem to be getting a bit wound up and think mass suicides are going to suddenly start happening. People were struggling with mental health before this and will be afterwards, it's not a new issue for society to tackle.
There is already masses of evidence that the mental health of many people has declined markedly during lockdown. I’ve seen it myself with both of my parents. It is happening whether you dismiss it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.