Covid app

Will you download the new NHS Covid app?

• Yes

Votes: 99 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • Unable

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters
Thought this probably merited its own thread, just in case it got lost in the Covid megathread.

A bit apprehensive about potential privacy issues, but have downloaded it anyway and will see how it goes.

I downloaded the Scottish version. No issues whatsoever in doing so and no issue re privacy either. Anyone with a smartphone worried about privacy given the way data is collected on us by smartphone apps, google, facebook, twitter etc is kidding themselves.

Thought this probably merited its own thread, just in case it got lost in the Covid megathread.

A bit apprehensive about potential privacy issues, but have downloaded it anyway and will see how it goes.

I've not studied this one indepth yet.

but the Google/Apple systemits using now should be very private.

you download the app, you get a an ID not linked to any of your details. when your out and about, if the app deems you to have had been in contact with someone it stores there ID on your device.

when you click "I have symptoms" the app then uploads your ID to an "infected" database.

periodically the app on your device downloads that database and checks it against the ID's stored on your devices and tells you if you have been in contact with someone now showing as infected and warns you.

other than the list of infected its all on device rather than central. nothing that can identify "you" is uploaded anywhere and no location information is taken.

The privacy and impingement of civil liberties issues with this app make me very uncomfortable, but I've downloaded it anyway. Will see how we get on. If that 15% number quoted above is correct, then i'd imagine that's pretty attainable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.