Recruitment issues

On paper we recruited well but although all players have contributed to our success a lot haven't hit the heights we thought they would. Stones and Mendy just haven't worked. Rodri is failing to impress too. Cancelo looks like he might be improving. Jesus is decent but no Aguero replacement. Mahrez is Mahrez, still too selfish and not too keen on the defensive side of his game.

But how many could THE TEAM have scored had a less selfish player had the same opportunities? Mahrez’s personal numbers are good because Mahrez sees to that as a priority.

There are some games where we look incredibly uninspired and Mahrez is the one player who actually makes something happens, and for that he deserves credit. But there are far more games where he fails to make good decisions, doesn’t do his defensive work and ultimately is detrimental to the overall performance of the team.
Look, I'm not saying Mahrez hasn't got his issues but how many could the team have scored if we had players who could actually finish? It's an irrelevant argument. All players are selfish to some degree. Bernardo was dreadful last year and gets nowhere near the stick Mahrez does.

Look, I'm not saying Mahrez hasn't got his issues but how many could the team have scored if we had players who could actually finish? It's an irrelevant argument. All players are selfish to some degree. Bernardo was dreadful last year and gets nowhere near the stick Mahrez does.

I’m sympathetic to the general thrust of your argument here but I would say that when Mahrez has a single game for us where he works his bollocks off like Bernardo did against Liverpool in 18/19 then we can ask why he’s more maligned than Bernie is with a straight face.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Though I would point out that "great squad player" isn't really what you want out of your club record signing, who was brought in as a ready made 27 year old on big wages.
Yes we will have to but I respect your viewpoint. What City paid for Mahrez was because he was already in the league and had just won POTY. Not necessarily his potential or world class ability. For me he is a £40m player max but we had to pay a premium. My point is that his stats prove he was worth the money and a good signing. Since his arrival City have won 2 titles and were centurians and won multiple cups so he couldn't of been that bad as he contributed to that.

I’m sympathetic to the general thrust of your argument here but I would say that when Mahrez has a single game for us where he works his bollocks off like Bernardo did against Liverpool in 18/19 then we can ask why he’s more maligned than Bernie is with a straight face.
He had a better season than Bernardo last year. One performance doesn't make a player better.

Mendy - shit (and that is being nice)
Rodri - pedestrian/slow, no drive - not what was needed to replace Ferna - the exact opposite in fact
Torres - who knows - not done anything yet
No centre half - huge issue - will Dias sort this out - Im not so sure
Mahrez - just not and never will be a city player - no backbone/spine or fight - rarely if ever grabs a game by the scruff of the neck -

At some point questions do need to be asked as there has been more bad than good

Yes we will have to but I respect your viewpoint. What City paid for Mahrez was because he was already in the league and had just won POTY. Not necessarily his potential or world class ability. For me he is a £40m player max but we had to pay a premium. My point is that his stats prove he was worth the money and a good signing. Since his arrival City have won 2 titles and were centurians and won multiple cups so he couldn't of been that bad as he contributed to that.

He’s not bad by any means but his weaknesses really impact the squad. He’s ridiculously selfish at times and today isn’t the first time he took on a bad shot with a teammate in a better position. His press is poor and he is not great coming back into his own end. All of that can probably be lived with if he has a really high level of production but while he’s had good stats I don’t think they’re good enough to offset the weaknesses. Especially when you contrast that with Bernardo who did struggle last year but always played for his teammates and pressed

Anyone else feel like our recruitment strategy is starting to hold us back?

We’re now losing players like Silva and Kompany, while the likes of Fernandinho and Aguero aren’t getting any younger. The thing is, the players we’re bringing in aren’t at the same level and often it feels like a case of ‘we don’t really know how they’ll turn out, but let’s hope they’re good’. Players like Aguero, Silva and Yaya were top class when we bought them and even Kompany was really highly regarded but held back due to his injury record.

Buying proven big players often DOES work. I’d argue our two biggest names purchased since Garry Cook left were De Bruyne and Sterling but based on the last few years you just know that Aguero’s successor is going to be some mid-range player who ends up struggling to get 15 goals a season.

This will upset some but we SHOULD be in for players like Sancho. His record at Dortmund is phenomenal. I don’t care about the past - let bygones be bygones. He’ll be a star in the top flight for the next 10 years when he comes back.

Don’t get me wrong I do think there are good deals to be had with lesser known talent, I just think you need a strong core of top class players and then you build around them.
Garry Cook was the man, got the big deals done, Txiki and Ferran have bought badly

He’s not bad by any means but his weaknesses really impact the squad. He’s ridiculously selfish at times and today isn’t the first time he took on a bad shot with a teammate in a better position. His press is poor and he is not great coming back into his own end. All of that can probably be lived with if he has a really high level of production but while he’s had good stats I don’t think they’re good enough to offset the weaknesses. Especially when you contrast that with Bernardo who did struggle last year but always played for his teammates and pressed
I agree and you make a valid point. I just don't think Mahrez falls into the bracket of a bad or mediocre signing. Bernado is clearly a better footballer and team player but on numbers Mahrez had a better season last year but gets far more stick than Bernardo imo and though that may be warranted I just find it a bit unfair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.