Recruitment issues

Agree. We went out and bought the best we could possibly get to build our spine, and they gave us a decade of service which is almost unheard of. For a decade we only had to supplement our match-winners. Now their sadly either leaving or past it, and we are looking for bargains and people who might not be the best at what they do but got a "nice personality". Which is all well and good but it increasingly looks like we end up with a talented squad that all look at someone else when the going get tough instead of grabbing the game themselves.

In 2-3 years we have to replace probably the output most extraordinary player we have ever had in KdB. If we settle for less with the gaps we already and also fail to replace him, we have managed to throw away every bit of momentum we had going for us by bringing in the best coach in the world into a team that already had a spine of world-class players

I think the problem we have had recently is we arent finding those gems like we used to. Spending 50m on a left back for example doesn’t guarantee a great player.

Zaba and Vincent barely cost anything and turned out to be world class.since the Spanish guys have come in we are reliant on big money signings.

Robertson for Liverpool is the perfect example of someone we’d never have gone for.

better scouting and buying one or two world class players is what we need

Its a mystery how the scouting side can perform so poorly over the past 2 seasons. Rodri and Camcelo (who pays a 50 million valued fee, for a back up fullback, have been poor signings and if things had worked out differently Maguire, a defender completely unsuited to a high line, would have turned up for 70 plus million as well.
Add to that players who are not good enough still remain at the club. Mendy has proven not good enough, the back up Zinchenko is not good enough either and yet both remain at the club and we show no interest in a 23 year old England, homegrown, left back in Ben Chillwell. A guy who would probably tie down that position for 5/6 years and knows this league inside out.

Its so frustrating how we have taken steps back these last two years.

We don't need another thread for this but I'll go anyway.

People seem to think you can just pluck world class players. Why would a player want to leave Real or Bayern to come to us?

On paper we have put together a strong squad, Txiki has gone and got pretty much everything that Pep wants. The team has issues but so does every team in the world.

Pep also has to get the best out of what he has, he is failing to do that. Pep is shoehorning players into the team rather than putting together the best team he can on the pitch.

As for Sancho. Lol.

As previously mentioned there isn’t a lot of big characters in this team anymore.... Hart, Kompany, Zaba, Yaya, tevez....
Our defensive signings have been terrible so many awful purchases and players who just simply aren’t good enough. We’ve spent a lot of money since 17/18 and our squad is worse off.

In my opinion we’ve spent a huge amount of money on average to good players not a patch on the likes of Silva, Toure, Aguero etc. We seem to have an aversion to going all in for top drawer signings now. IMO We would be better buying one £100 million player than 2 £50 million players, we get ripped off for players anyway, so we’d probably get better value spending big and have a better first team. The quality of the first team has certainly diminished.

City's defence has been off for sometime hence we spent the entire Summer chasing 2 central defenders.

I think the problem starts in defensive midfield and we spent last season moaning about it too. Shambolic today but when you looked at the midfield and forwards it's not hard to see why.

We may have erred in the transfer market but why are we playing Fernandinho at 35 in midfield? And why play Foden on the right when we need a player to join with Sterling.

Neville and others would have loved watching that but this is Pep's biggest challenge. I will be seriously disappointed in him if he walks away from this.

I expect City to come through this and challenge again.

Tied in with the poor recruitment is the poor development of players through the Academy. Millions spent and players brought in from all around the world and the only player of note to come through is Foden.

In my opinion we’ve spent a huge amount of money on average to good players not a patch on the likes of Silva, Toure, Aguero etc. We seem to have an aversion to going all in for top drawer signings now. IMO We would be better buying one £100 million player than 2 £50 million players, we get ripped off for players anyway, so we’d probably get better value spending big and have a better first team. The quality of the first team has certainly diminished.
We've been spending £100m per Summer transfer window and wasting money. Man Utd do this with Wan Bissaka and Dan James and we're no better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.