It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any truth in the Tagliafico mutterings ?

Are we looking to get one last signing done?

I’d also like to know. If we see movement regarding Zinchenko, then we can be pretty confident something is up. I just hope Zinch take his chances elsewhere this time and not stay and fight for his place (again). By the looks of it, paying more than half of Otamendi’s salary at Benfica the first two years, while also giving him 2m euros (rumour?), they really wanted him gone. I can see a similar approach regarding Zinchenko. I think the club will be ruthless in fixing all positions at this point.

I'm actually starting to get really excited about the Dias transfer. He sounds like exactly what we need. I think having a solid CB pairing will fix a massive amount of our issues.

I believe so too. I can see a very stable partnership ahead, like Laporte-Kompany in 18/19. But the best part is we got ourselves a third top centreback in Aké, and I honestly think we can put him in a similar bracket as Laporte and Dias. Our choices for centreback position haven’t looked this promising in many years.

Sterling has to play on the right or we're not going to get anywhere. Another faux pas.

We’re clearly lacking width and players who can beat people to create space. He rarely takes on a fullback from the and our play is very narrow. Don’t worry though he’ll score 2 or 3 the next time we play some shite that we batter and people can point to his goal stats from the left again. Bit like the team now a flat track bully. Watch Mane or Salah and they’re levels above him.

Last edited:
I agree to some degree but bear in mind that the team is still 3 weeks off full fitness, with 4 problem positions and a pile of injuries on top...... no wonder we struggled against a decent side like Leicester who looked fitter and more organized.
Agree, but circumstances should have dictated a plan b. Not advocating pep out by the way, but he needs to be pragmatic in times of need

we used to have 3 walls to block a counter, the front line with the initial press, then Fern sweeping in on the first ball out to either foul or win it back, and then the back 4 if it got that far, but there was often enough disruption in the first 2 phases that it was rare we got badly exploited.

Now we have 1, the back 4, we have no midfield in the defensive transition so in effect we have 30/40 yards of blank space for the opposition to create a counter in and therefore they get much clearer opportunities and the defence now gets caught between ideas of how to stop it hence we get a plethora of individual errors as they aren't singing from the same sheet and are put under too much critical pressure, instead of being there (like say at Liverpool) to just clean up and been the final wall to an already disrupted counter.

That's why Liverpool have crushed the league and done us over, because the midfield is just there to crush any counter and win the ball back, so the backline rarely comes under critical pressure. What Pep has failed to acknowledge in purchasing Rodri was the unique factor that allowed his style to work in 17/18 and 18/19 was the energy of Fern allied with his technical skill, to allow us to play Pep's way in attack but have the legs to have a 2nd wall to counter attacks. Gundogan was a drop-off but given the sweeper role with a really intense, Bernardo inspired first press, his job was more to pick up the loose counter and recycle than break it up. Last season both he and Rodri were tasked with breaking it up a lot more and it failed miserably.

It's why Gundogan, Rodri and the likes of Mahrez might be good players but they don't suit what Pep needs in England. The unfortunate thing is it's been completely missed and we've unravelled what works and created something that is deeply problematic for a Pep style of play.

Equally, we had a plethora of simple chances in tight games last season that we squandered, largely Jesus and Sterling, that puts us on the back foot. The low block isn't the killer because we still get really good chances in pretty much every game, it's not taking them when they arise and instead having to wait for 6/8 attempts before our front men score. Liverpool tend to take their early chances, as we did in 17/18 and 18/19 and it sets the tone for entire games.

We can't do a 3 phase press with this current squad so Pep has to either philosophy or make a couple of signings to address it in the next few days.
Brilliant summary, thank you for your effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.