Soriano: B teams in EFL

Woody135

Mods please merge somewhere more appropriate. But I couldn’t see anything.

Seen Ferran Soriano has done an interview where part of the discussion is on the EFLs financial struggles and that they aren’t sustainable enough. He references the “B team” idea again without explicitly stating its what he wants/is advocating, but he’definitely said it before and I can’t imagine he’s changed his mind.

I find it very uncomfortable that city may be pushing for B teams in the EFL. Completely distorts competition in my opinion so if we are its certainly something I hope we don’t succeed with.

There is a lot we should be thankful to our management team for, but english league traditions are worth something for me and they need to leave it alone.
Engage in making change to make clubs more sustainable but dont stick your own B teams in place of teams that fall away.

Seen Ferran Soriano has done an interview where part of the discussion is on the EFLs financial struggles and that they aren’t sustainable enough. He references the “B team” idea again without explicitly stating its what he wants/is advocating, but he’definitely said it before and I can’t imagine he’s changed his mind.

I find it very uncomfortable that city may be pushing for B teams in the EFL. Completely distorts competition in my opinion so if we are its certainly something I hope we don’t succeed with.

There is a lot we should be thankful to our management team for, but english league traditions are worth something for me and they need to leave it alone.
Engage in making change to make clubs more sustainable but dont stick your own B teams in place of teams that fall away.

I agree in part with the tradition but I have said many times we have too many Pro clubs. We have full pro clubs down in the conference - lots of them and even in tier 6 and 7 players are getting paid some big numbers. You look at every other country and they have 3 tiers of pro clubs, 4 max, and most include B teams in those tiers.

The maths just doesn't work - the money is spread to thin and corners are cut. The answer is more self regulation, salary caps and FFP type provisions. But its like Turkeys voting for Chritsmas. They wont do it - so expect nothing to change.

The idea doesn't sit comfortably with me either, but I can also see how this could help the lower leagues.

Hundreds or thousands of premier league fans heading to away grounds when their first team doesn't have a game, chance for the lower leagues to see big players getting some game time.

I don't know. I kind of like the idea in a way but I wouldn't want it affecting promotions or relegations too much. It may result in a north south spilt and more divisions. But there's money to be made that way so I can see it being at least on the EFL agenda.

tradition is all well and good, ask bury about tradition , there are going to be a lot of clubs on the brink, tradition is good as long as there is a way to carry it on, at the moment with covid clubs are on their arse.

he'll be hated for this by a lot of EFL club supporters and chairmen.

The Chairmen, because what he is saying is true and if it comes to fruition, it will effect their clubs directly.

The fans, because of all of the above also.

The leagues below the Championship are not viable any more and the COVID crisis is only going to make that worse.

The Premier League isn't going to bail them out because they know COVID just advanced things 10 years, and that ultimately they'll just be supporting a loss making business that doesn't do anything.

If the EFL wants to survive, they're going to have to give ground to the PL, whether that's B teams or something else.

tradition is all well and good, ask bury about tradition , there are going to be a lot of clubs on the brink, tradition is good as long as there is a way to carry it on, at the moment with covid clubs are on their arse.

The bottom line is that the 100 or so clubs below the Prem that are all run with professional players will never want to make way for B teams. And you can see why as there is no room. Maybe if 30 of them go bust things will change.

It doesn't have to be B Teams. Why not affiliated clubs instead?

City are given or choose a club in League One and a club in League Two. HAVE to send 10 players to each club on a season long loan. City pay each club a seven figure development fee per season and continue to pay the wages of the players.

The fee would help sustain lower league clubs and maintain their history etc. rather than seeing another Bury/Macc Town.

There would have to be an agreement from the clubs receiving the players that these players need to play.

It's a two way street. Would help sustain them and would aid the development of younger players and bridge the gap.

Just an idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.