#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dictated the tempo fairly well. Tremendous free kick and showed attacking initiative for the first goal. Uncharacteristically, had some passes that didn't hit. Still rounding into form after no preseason and covid.

I wonder how well a midfield of Gundo, Bernardo and Foden would work though. He showed his class as a DM when Dinho was injured a few years ago so he still has that in him. Put him next to a couple of others in the midfield that can run and cover and he should flourish, once again, in theory.

Immediately he went off we became much more solid and far more fluid,direct,and dangerous.He lacks aggression and physicality,offers next to no support to the defence,and kills our momentum and pace.

Great freekick,did well for the penalty,but overall.....very poor.

We should definitely never see him and Rodri in the same midfield,as their combined lack of mobility makes us sitting ducks and piles unnecessary pressure on our defence.

May have been because they had to come out more after going behind, it gave us more space.

He struggled to get into it in the first half, the passing out from the back didn't help, the balance was all wrong at the back, messed up our build up.

Thought his 20 mins in the second half were excellent.

Immediately he went off we became much more solid and far more fluid,direct,and dangerous.He lacks aggression and physicality,offers next to no support to the defence,and kills our momentum and pace.

Great freekick,did well for the penalty,but overall.....very poor.

We should definitely never see him and Rodri in the same midfield,as their combined lack of mobility makes us sitting ducks and piles unnecessary pressure on our defence.

You mean we looked better when Porto had to start playing football?

You mean we looked better when Porto had to start playing football?

As soon as he went off and we introduced players with attacking intent and energy,Porto had no answers....they were immediately on the back foot as they couldn't handle our movement or pace.That wasn't coincidence.

He showed his class as a DM when Dinho was injured a few years ago so he still has that in him.
I don't think he does, he worries me any time he's the sole DM supposedly protecting the back line. The injuries seem to have reduced his willingness to tackle and once a runner goes past him he's essentially out of the game. He's technically good as the free kick showed and can be dangerous in the attacking third - the pen last night was an example - but I don't believe he should start as often as he does.

As soon as he went off and we introduced players with attacking intent and energy,Porto had no answers....they were immediately on the back foot as they couldn't handle our movement or pace.That wasn't coincidence.

As soon as he went off Porto had to start attacking because they were losing. The team that had been sat back defending all game instantly started pushing up, trying to play football and we were predictably miles better.

You're right it wasn't a coincidence but it's absolutely ridiculous to pretend Gundogan going off was the reason when Porto completely changed their way of playing at the exact same time (thanks to his goal).

I thought it was crying out for Gundo to swap with Rodri in the build up in that first half, he should've been the one cental receiving the ball from the defence, then alternate again when we are more advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.