Marcus Rashford lobbying govt to help vulnerable children

Let's face it, if Rashford was working as a doctor as a second job and saving lives - some would still criticise him and say he's doing it for PR.

sod em, anyone with half a brain will see how good he is doing for Children right now and hope he continues the fight

OK I am one of those with half a brain. We as a nation now seem to think it is a right that schools provide breakfast and diner for any/every child every single day of the year. Why not tea as well ? and all paid for by the Government/taxpayer.
It is the job of schools to educate children not feed them.
If a child is missing 2 meals a day then the family he is from are having bigger problems than missing breakfast.
Every supermarket has a box by the door where free food is donated, every town/City have food banks. Are we saying the parents wont use these or is it they cant be arsed preparing a meal (2) for their child.

OK I am one of those with half a brain. We as a nation now seem to think it is a right that schools provide breakfast and diner for any/every child every single day of the year. Why not tea as well ? and all paid for by the Government/taxpayer.
If a child is missing 2 meals a day then the family he is from are having bigger problems than missing breakfast.
Every supermarket has a box by the door where free food is donated, every town/City have food banks. Are we saying the parents wont use these or is it they cant be arsed preparing a meal (2) for their child.

That aside, Rashford is clearly doing all this with good intentions to help the poorest in our society and ensuring kids get fed, this virus will have put alot of family's into severe poverty

Oh dear.

Tories believe poverty is a product of bad life choices, that poverty is self inflicted, those in poverty deserve to be in poverty and the state has no place in subsidising their indolence.

Except children don't have a choice and until recently it was accepted (kind of) across the political spectrum that children should be treated differently, that the state had some responsibility for their well being.

Until now.

I’m a yank so asking from ignorance—whats the political or philosophical argument against what Rashford is trying to do? Even if it’s a fig leaf I’m just curious if there is some philosophical basis for opposing it—like how republicans here are anti-public healthcare Options because “government tyranny” or “freedom”.

Oh dear.

Tories believe poverty is a product of bad life choices, that poverty is self inflicted, those in poverty deserve to be in poverty and the state has no place in subsidising their indolence.

Except children don't have a choice and until recently it was accepted (kind of) across the political spectrum that children should be treated differently, that the state had some responsibility for their well being.

Until now.
Why make it political or have you just decided I am a Tory ?
Do you think it is acceptable that children are in a position of near starvation and the answer is to get the schools to feed them ?
Poverty needs to be tackled but it is not solved by free school breakfasts. That is a silly, simplistic answer. If the children are missing out on 2 of their three meals a day there is something very wrong with their home life and that is what needs addressing.

Why make it political or have you just decided I am a Tory ?
Yes.

Because you don't think poverty is political.

Besides, I'm not interested in your politics, my main thrust was that the Tories are being Tories.

Do you think it is acceptable that children are in a position of near starvation and the answer is to get the schools to feed them ?

If they're not being fed at home who would you have feed them?

Poverty needs to be tackled but it is not solved by free school breakfasts. That is a silly, simplistic answer. If the children are missing out on 2 of their three meals a day there is something very wrong with their home life and that is what needs addressing.

Your solution being?

Last edited:
Let’s keep the political stuff to the relevant forum please.

As for Rashford, got a huge amount of respect for the work he is doing. He’s a credit to the city.

If this isn't political why is Rashford lobbying the government?

He could be lecturing wayward parents, or lobbying charities. The very fact he thinks the government has a duty to help hungry kids is a political act.

Just had a look at his Twitter page and you know what, who gives a fuck what the reasons are he may or may not have started this campaign for. Seeing hundreds of struggling businesses getting on board to provide meals for children who would go without otherwise is the kind of thing that makes you proud. Or at least it should do. Reading some of the replies shows that sadly the country is still in the midst of a giant point scoring exercise.
Wherever it’s Covid, brexit, Trump, Boris or something relatively straight forward like feeding the poorest of society, it seems people will forever use these issues to point score and win an argument on the internet.
The problem with this tends to be there are no winners, or at least no winners at the bottom end of the spectrum. Just losers.
Keep it up Marcus because every single tweet showing the good people can do is a kick in the teeth to the abhorrent, self serving cunts who the good folk of the U.K. saw fit to vote in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.