Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman

A genuine mistake is a genuine mistake. If there is no intent to offend then simply be prepared to apologise and change the terminology you use accordingly. Although I must say that the term "coloured" has been frowned upon for a few decades now so there's not much of an excuse other than being completely out of touch for a long time.

That's for regular people in their day to day lives. For people in a position of power who face public scrutiny, it's their responsibility to make sure they are up to date with what is deemed as acceptable. It's not really difficult.

Personally I don't use either terminology just pointing out that using similar words in different order can lead to offence.

There’s an old saying “if you want to know the character of a man, give him power”

The words coloured and half caste are derogatory words now to describe people’s ethnicity.

Using the words Black, Asian and mixed heritage are the correct words.

It wouldn’t surprise me the only reason this dinosaur resigned was on the knowledge he would get his full pension.

Mixed heritage? Doesn't that describe the entire planet lol

A genuine mistake is a genuine mistake. If there is no intent to offend then simply be prepared to apologise and change the terminology you use accordingly. Although I must say that the term "coloured" has been frowned upon for a few decades now so there's not much of an excuse other than being completely out of touch for a long time.

That's for regular people in their day to day lives. For people in a position of power who face public scrutiny, it's their responsibility to make sure they are up to date with what is deemed as acceptable. It's not really difficult.

Acceptable to who?

Who exactly are these people who get to decide what is and isn't acceptable?

I’ve always considered myself as a snowflake leftie .... but only in the last couple of days have I found out saying ‘coloured’ is massively racist. Genuinely never knew and I’m sure I’ve used that terminology myself in the past.

If the only thing Dyke had said was coloured then it probably could have been forgiven. With the likes of Andros Townsend coming out saying they don't think he's a racist because he used that term. But when used in conjunction with the racial and gender stereotyping in his speech just goes to show that his views are from a bygone age. There's no room for that for someone in his position and there was really no alternative left but for him to resign. Presumably this also affects his position as UEFA representative for FIFA but haven't heard anything on that either way.

Man I love virtue-signaling!

Greg Clarke shouldn’t be in any position of power, and not just because of his bigotry.

I was educated at the age of 16 that 'coloured' isn't acceptable. Until then I thought it was. That was 1994 and on one of my first days in work i used that term, and was told in no uncertain terms it wasn't allowed.
This guy is still using it now, as well as describing homosexuality as a life style choice. And people wonder why hardly any footballers have come out so far?

An absolute dinosaur and it's right he's gone.

Acceptable to who?

Who exactly are these people who get to decide what is and isn't acceptable?

Everyone. There will quite clearly never be total agreement but if enough people raise their voice in objection at being labelled as something they deem offensive then it's basic human decency to accept that and listen to what they have to say.

I don't know why some of you act like anyone is trying to control you and the words you use because , to be quite frank, you're not important. It's about the collective and having respect for others within it. This is also precisely why arguments like "my black mate, Dave, doesn't care what you call him" are completely irrelevant. My partner couldn't care less if I call her a woman but that doesn't mean I now have license to go around calling all women bitches.

Oddly enough, people of a certain age often seem to think those values of respect and good manners are things that have mostly disappeared since they were young and it's often those very same people who will kick and scream and drag their feet when it comes to changing how they address people when objections have been raised.

Like I said earlier, a mistake is a mistake. But it's quite obvious from a lot of responses on this thread (not to mention the countless previous threads where racism and racist language have been the main talking points) that there's a lot of willful ignorance from users on here.

The other thing is, how often do people feel the need to identify someone by the colour of their skin? Because there are people on here acting like they're walking on thin ice every minute of the day and living in fear that they'll say the wrong word. Seems a bit odd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.