Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman

Look, there are some relevant points in your comment but I think what's often missing in these discussions is balance. If my comments have come across as sneering then I apologise because that's not my attention at all.

I'd like to think that anybody of reasonable mind doesn't expect every single one of us to be fully up to date with what is deemed acceptable. As at least one other person has rightfully pointed out, it is a minefield and it's in almost constant flux.

Once again, a mistake is a mistake and intent is important. I don't think Gregg Clarke's use of the word "coloured" is proof of him being a racist but I think his comments as a whole paint a picture of him as an incredibly ignorant man. The fact of the matter is that someone in his position and working for an organisation such as the FA needs to keep himself better informed than that.

Similarly, I wouldn't call anyone on here a racist, Nazi, populist or apologist for not knowing the way the term has been perceived for the last twenty or thirty years. How would you know any better if you haven't been exposed to that knowledge?

Anyway, I'm aware that the way I try and articulate my points can come across as contemptful or like I'm trying to lecture people so I'll leave the thread because I think making people feel that way is counterproductive to the message.

I'll just end it by saying that the words you use aren't an intrinsic part of your identity. A criticism of the language you may have once used or still use without knowing any better isn't a criticism of you as a person. The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that you adapt and respond to those around you rather than pushing back with no good reason. That's what respect is and that's all anyone can reasonably ask for.

I have no idea if I was talking about you I almost never remember who posted what I just reply to content of the post. I’m as likely to agree with you tomorrow as disagree. I don’t have ideologies.
I didn’t push the debate towards his use of the word coloured it was already at that point when I arrived. Just replied to a post about councils in the 80s. Some pillock tried to be a smart arse and then was abusive. It happens.

The simple fact is everyone has different life experiences and some on here who preach understanding of minorities which is a decent thing to do should maybe think about others as well before they ‘read between the lines’.

I have never seen a decent debate on race on here and never will. This collective, society has decided term is just horsehit. Human beings have done an appalling job with race relations.

The only reasonable thing the majority can agree on is Greg Clarke is a bit of a dick.

Last edited:
If the only thing Dyke had said was coloured then it probably could have been forgiven. With the likes of Andros Townsend coming out saying they don't think he's a racist because he used that term. But when used in conjunction with the racial and gender stereotyping in his speech just goes to show that his views are from a bygone age. There's no room for that for someone in his position and there was really no alternative left but for him to resign. Presumably this also affects his position as UEFA representative for FIFA but haven't heard anything on that either way.

Clarke now resigned from FIFA after he took a phone call...

Heh, maybe someone read my comments and decided to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. Sorry/Not Sorry Mr. Clarke you dinosaur.

I suppose it's the difference between using a word which was forced upon you as a means to mark you as a second class citizen vs. a phrase you've come up with yourself and doesn't have the history.

It is "a term that has been chosen by and is used by black people" to borrow from the Show Racism the Red Card quote you used.

Sometimes I think trying to apply strict logic to these things is useless, we can't really understand the difference in feeling evoked by "colored" vs. "person of color" for someone who used to have to sit in the colored part of the bus, or go to colored bathrooms etc.

Personally, I'll always just say black - person of colour has never made much sense to me because it just means "everyone not white".

Me too, but I heard the word 'black' used as part of an insult far more than 'coloured'.

I think the quite valid description 'everyone not white' is, & was, an important point though, when talking about the general situation where white people are often in a privillaged situation than anyone who isn't white.

I just don't understand why 'person of colour' was chosen as the preferred term, baring in mind the past usage.

Why not just use mixed race then or better just stop labelling people period?
Surely the ultimate goal.Labelling people,and/or highlighting physical characteristics,will only ever cause and prolong division.People should only ever be judged on how they behave and never by how they look.

I’m really surprised by this, West Ham have loads of black fans, and there’s significant number of black people live in east London, anyway you know now hammer so just adjust mate, no worries.

as an aside, I see very few if any black supporters in the stadium.

and also very few people that go to west ham live in east London, they mainly travel in from Kent/Essex

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.