COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday talking about the various developments on COVID vaccines and other treatments.

Both the pfizer and Moderna vaccines are both pretty similar and work in similar ways: they are injected into the muscle and from there they work their way into the bloodstream and stimulate the production of antibodies. But both have question marks though, for example how long such antibody resistance would last. Also the extent to which a heathy, but infected vaccinated person can still infect someone else.

Something which had not really occurred to me is that other types of treatment are also being researched, which potentially could be a whole lot better. Coronavirus gets in to your system through your mucous membrane, and therefore if we could kill it there, then for the virus it's game over. It never gets to make it further into your body.

There's research going on into such treatments which could take the form of a simple nasal spray or inhaler. And the advantages of these - as well as not having to arrange millions of injections - would be that people didn't carry the infection around and would not infect other people, so the disease would die out much more quickly.
How would these inhalers work though (I read about this last week)?
One off spray or something you would need to carry around with you every day (which surely in the real world isn't practical?)

There was an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday talking about the various developments on COVID vaccines and other treatments.

Both the pfizer and Moderna vaccines are both pretty similar and work in similar ways: they are injected into the muscle and from there they work their way into the bloodstream and stimulate the production of antibodies. But both have question marks though, for example how long such antibody resistance would last. Also the extent to which a heathy, but infected vaccinated person can still infect someone else.

Something which had not really occurred to me is that other types of treatment are also being researched, which potentially could be a whole lot better. Coronavirus gets in to your system through your mucous membrane, and therefore if we could kill it there, then for the virus it's game over. It never gets to make it further into your body.

There's research going on into such treatments which could take the form of a simple nasal spray or inhaler. And the advantages of these - as well as not having to arrange millions of injections - would be that people didn't carry the infection around and would not infect other people, so the disease would die out much more quickly.
Don't think you're going to get a global concerted effort to spray our throats periodically. Killing what you can't see is nigh on impossible. It's never realistically been a strategy for disease control.

Don't think you're going to get a global concerted effort to spray our throats periodically. Killing what you can't see is nigh on impossible. It's never realistically been a strategy for disease control.

It sounds like it's for later on in time - feel a bit iffy, get a test, get a spray. Done. It's not ready, so isn't for the next year or so anyway.
Also would be something you could pack for trips fairly easily, so makes travel more confident.

No it isn't.
Schools close and people take holiday so the main conduits for viral spread vanish.
Schools are currently responsible for 29% of Covid cases and work another 15%. These are the transmission routes for a large chunk of those catching it at home (20% overall) as well. So 50%+ of transmission will vanish in week 52.
Oh and anyone who is realy ill gets admitted to hospital and those figures drop a bit in week 52 as well
New year festivities mormally bring it all back with a bang but there you go.
Sorry for a late comment on those numbers mate,

but I wonder how you can identify where infections happen if Germany couldn't even identify 75% of infections early November (!) as tracing was being overwhelmed already. Surely it must be similar in UK, no?

In Hamburg alone I can follow new cases in age groups, and 70% are happening in age group 20-60 yrs, under 20 it's only 15%. That would be an indication that schools have a minor impact (here).

Any thoughts about a comparable UK situation?

Interesting. I hadn't heard of those options - I assume they are down the line as they are theoretical, but that solution has merit of it can be made to work.

The three made so far all work by capping the spike protein, with the idea of stopping the virus getting into the cell.

How would these inhalers work though (I read about this last week)?
One off spray or something you would need to carry around with you every day (which surely in the real world isn't practical?)

It's all pretty complicated but apparently the type of antibody developed by the 3 new vaccines is a blood antibody called IgG. But the main antibody in your respiratory tract is called IgA. So they are looking at ways of boosting your IgA. That doesn't mean you'd need to carry an inhaler all the time, merely that it would be administered nasally or by inhaler, not injected.

I would expect they will but we all know that some people will never be persuaded and some of those will base their views on something completely irrational.

Anyone know if the vaccine contains animal products? I guess some will not have it if it has.
Thought I read this morning it comes from chimpanzees?

It's all pretty complicated but apparently the type of antibody developed by the 3 new vaccines is a blood antibody called IgG. But the main antibody in your respiratory tract is called IgA. So they are looking at ways of boosting your IgA. That doesn't mean you'd need to carry an inhaler all the time, merely that it would be administered nasally or by inhaler, not injected.

That's fascinating and very smart. I've not come across these secretory IgAs before.

Normally the IgA is made in the blood, and transports through the mucosal layer to the outer (airside) mucosal surface.

Presumably this spray idea means that it applies the IgA to the outer (airside) mucosal surface directly, allowing a fast overload of the surface.

What does everyone reckon with this 1 and a half dose thing then? Will they give the 2 dose 62% regime until more data on the smaller dose is done or straightaway go with the 90% approx lower dose? Heard the smaller dose was a 3000 person subset.

I think the numbers on the lower dose are very, very low - it could be as few as 20 cases on placebo, 2 on active.

So the confidence interval will be very large, and possibly (probably) overlap between the two sub populations.

In other words, it could well be the evidence to differentiate between the regimes is weak at present.

I wouldn't worry about it too much either way - the confidence interval on the higher dose is quoted as 54%-80%, and even the lowest end of that is good enough.

Just get on with it now IMV, not bothered which dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.