COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why if vaccine can be ready in a few weeks... that we could be in a tier styled lockdown till april/may next year ?!

I understand logistics and distribution issues, but surely it can't take that long.
Even if we can vaccinate 5m per week and we have to vaccinate 50m (kids of a certain age not included, people not wanting the vaccine etc) and everyone needs two jabs it would take around 20 weeks for everyone to be done around five months. So starting in December would mean finishing around April

mondays are always really low

then it's a big rise tomorrow
Last Monday to Tuesday GM 'jumped' from 763 DOWN to 721. Cannot judge week before as it was student week that messed up the data. But week before that it went up from 1404 to 1626 and week before that fell from 2472 to 2144.

So I don't think that is the case consistently. Though it is true less tests tend to be done at weekends.

It is utterly apolitical or connected with wealth. And all to do with saving lives by reducing spread in the way that works best.

Unconnected with wealth? Plenty of studies (e.g. TUC, World Economic Forum) have shown that it is the youngest workers that are most at risk of job losses during the Covid recession. And of course it is of course the young that have the lowest incomes and least amount of savings and other financial assets to fall back if their hours are cut or they lose their job entirely.

Then we have the harm done to children and young people from disruption to education, at least during the first great lockdown.

And whose lives are being saved? The average age of a Covid death is 82, and the great majority of lives that are being saved (or, rather, extended) are the elderly.

Your point about false economy of national vs local lockdowns needs some serious analysis that I don't think anyone has actually done yet. Instead, all we are getting from all sides is policy on the hoof driven by media and social media pressure.

Surely they'll be able to scan you for the microchip that gets injected with it...?
I would imagine we'll see certified passport apps on mobile platforms. Most of these places will use loyalty apps already. Seems easy enough to repurpose / piggyback them. Could be done bluetooth/wifi/nfc, or just have your phone generate a QR code that the POS scanner can read.

I just hope we swallow our British Pride, learn our lesson, and use the open-source framework that will inevitably be in the works.

It very much sounds from the press conference, that areas are expected to provide mass testing without anything like the support that was given to Liverpool.

There certainly WAS a big jump last week nationwide from Tuesday to Wednesday 11, 299 cases to 18, 213. That was caused by a big cases 'misplacement' and it is possible the same has happened here too as I have mentioned in several of my previous posts this afternoon.

But it is not a pattern every week. The week before cases fell.

The jumps in cases usually have far more to do with the variation in number of tests the data come from. They have been up and down for some weeks but not consistently. Just huge rises and falls.

I noted the cases reported v testing in a post an hour or so ago over past 3 days to today to highlight this issue. And why I am wary of the low number today but it is not as simple as it being Monday so cases are low.

That IS true for deaths because of the lack of weekend registration. But it has less impact on case numbers which are recorded the same way every day. Though sometimes testing drops at weekends, of course.

Hospital numbers in England have gone up today by the way after several days of falling numbers.

This is not unusual on a Monday. But a trend we need to watch.

Patients up from 12, 291 to 12, 837 - a rise of 546 in the day. Last Monday it was 13, 445 - having risen by 231.

Ventilators also up from 1204 to 1241 - biggest rise in a few days. Last Monday it was 1259 having risen by 11.

The regions in hospital are less good news for the North West today. But not going to panic as it is always higher on Mondays as patients come in and often then get released quickly and so might yet fall.

LONDON Patients up 1480 to 1504 (was 1469 last wk) Ventilators up 248 to 260 (was 248 last wk)

MIDLANDS Patients up big here 2830 to 3111 (was 3121 last wk) Ventilators up 291 to 313 (was 303 last wk)

NE/YORKS Patients up 2757 to 2762 (was 3245 last wk) Ventilators down 211 to 204 (was 240 last wk)

And NORTH WEST

Patients sadly up quite a bit - from 2290 to 2444 (was 2711 last wk)

And Ventilators up 191 to 198 (was 233 last wk).

The way things go here over the next few days will be very important to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.