Joey Barton

Dont think we’ve played Bristol City in the league since about 79/80? The Gasheads were in the third flight during our one season there.
We’ve had a couple of league cup ties against both including Bristol City in the two-legged semi a couple of years ago and in the Sven season when Bianchi scored a cracker at Ashton Gate.
We drew 0-0 with Rovers at Maine Road back in Reid’s era and a second leg when they were ground sharing at Bath City’s Twerton Park. Dreadful performance that went to extra time, Rick Holden scuffed a late winner that had everyone in the City end laughing as he had been the worst player on the pitch by some distance

I was there.shit ground,never bin back.awful day and game.
And a long way there and back .dullness all round.

My neck of the woods. Watched us lose a long unbeaten run to Bristol City in the old 1st Division. Can’t remember when (late 1970’s?) but remember Norman Hunter playing for them and Dave Watson for us. Then watched us win 2-0 at Rovers in 1999 when we were trying to secure our Third Division play off position. Goals from Terry Cooke and The Goat I think. We all know what happened after that.
Did you leave early? Finished 2-2...

I'm back in the Sixties - It was 65-66 season and they didn't 'whip' us. I had a 3-0 thumping lodged in my head for the Ashton Gate game. We drew both - 2-2 at home and 1-1 at Brighstowe - and it was Neil Young who got our goal not D. Kevan. Mind, I can't remember who scored our last goal so a game from 55 years ago doesn't have much of a chance.
7CB85BF3-1862-46C8-A59B-E7DB304D1C14.jpeg

Dont think we’ve played Bristol City in the league since about 79/80? The Gasheads were in the third flight during our one season there.
We’ve had a couple of league cup ties against both including Bristol City in the two-legged semi a couple of years ago and in the Sven season when Bianchi scored a cracker at Ashton Gate.
We drew 0-0 with Rovers at Maine Road back in Reid’s era and a second leg when they were ground sharing at Bath City’s Twerton Park. Dreadful performance that went to extra time, Rick Holden scuffed a late winner that had everyone in the City end laughing as he had been the worst player on the pitch by some distance

We played Bristol City in a pre season friendly for the 99/2000 season.
Funnily enough Tony Pullis had left Gillingham and moved to Ashton Gate so there was plenty of "2 nil up and fucked it up, do dah, do dah" chants

We played Bristol City in a pre season friendly for the 99/2000 season.
Funnily enough Tony Pullis had left Gillingham and moved to Ashton Gate so there was plenty of "2 nil up and fucked it up, do dah, do dah" chants
Missed that one, more’s the pity.
A weird quirk of our history that for a relatively big city we have not played either of Bristol’s clubs club very often. City 25 times in total (only 13 times since the 1930s and only 3 times in the last 40 years)
We’ve only ever played Rovers 4 times.
Maybe a geographical thing. Apparently weve never played Exeter City in a competitive game.

Did you leave early? Finished 2-2...
So it did. My memory’s obviously not as good as I thought it was. I also thought it was on Friday night but looks like it was Saturday (1st May 1999). At least I got our goal scorers right. Cracking free kick from Cooke iirc

Attachments

• E710F000-F4D3-4CB8-B35A-B66B74A6F99B.png
    E710F000-F4D3-4CB8-B35A-B66B74A6F99B.png
    277.3 KB · Views: 11
Missed that one, more’s the pity.
A weird quirk of our history that for a relatively big city we have not played either of Bristol’s clubs club very often. City 25 times in total (only 13 times since the 1930s and only 3 times in the last 40 years)
We’ve only ever played Rovers 4 times.
Maybe a geographical thing. Apparently weve never played Exeter City in a competitive game.
Correct.

don't like him full stop ! over rated player when really he was just a thug and mouth
the only good thing he ever did was getting the red card in the last game of the season giving us the time in injury time to win the title

A less talented, more shouty Jordan Henderson.

That's before you get in to the fact that he's as thick as shit and a generally detestable, violent racist.

Or maybe he's toned down his use of slurs now. Apparently he's read a book or something so he's obviously a new man.

Somebody will know this, but how many times was Barton sent off either playing for City or against them? The two obvious ones are the QPR match and the Spurs 4-3 FA Cup. Two of the greatest matches in English football, never mind our own history. And he was inadvertently a big part of those games, was wondering though if he had other red cards were those games memorable for any reasons?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.