Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

They shouldn't be allowed to use the lines at all. They should look with their eyes and if it's not immediately obvious, then the goal should stand. Or they should go with what the linesman decided. It's supposed to be for clear errors, not forensic investigation into every decision.
Clear and obvious not an issue for offsides. We are told they are black and white decisions. Binary. Off or on

totally fictious of course, and try as I may I can see nothing from any governing bodies about the margin of error of the tech

Yup. That's correct. I posted this on the match thread.

The law regarding offside: "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used."

The correct freeze frame should have been a split second before this picture. A split second before this, Laporte would have been further out and the defender would have been further back.

The question is, was there an earlier frame they could have used.

8633b56e9f1483945c9141a661f08cfc.jpg
I go back to my original point, city have had more goals wrongly chalked off by the mysterious man in the shed at Scamley Park than any other side. I hope somebody is keeping tabs....

Yup. That's correct. I posted this on the match thread.

The law regarding offside: "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used."

The correct freeze frame should have been a split second before this picture. A split second before this, Laporte would have been further out and the defender would have been further back.

The question is, was there an earlier frame they could have used.

8633b56e9f1483945c9141a661f08cfc.jpg
Exactly.

Roll back to West Ham last season, Sterling goal ruled out. Being Sport went over that goal numerous times and showed when the ball was actually played and showed Raheem clearly onside! VAR said shortly after "they use the wrong clip, But it's a work on progress".

Yeah right, Over a year on a still brown envelopes been passed about. All of us know this title would be in our cabinet in January only for VAR giving the rags false hope.

Pricks.

They shouldn't be allowed to use the lines at all. They should look with their eyes and if it's not immediately obvious, then the goal should stand. Or they should go with what the linesman decided. It's supposed to be for clear errors, not forensic investigation into every decision.
I agree mate - it would be a bit like Umpire’s call with the DRS in cricket and only the howlers would be reversed.

Would also give the fans in the ground more reason to celebrate goals as well.

But now the referees have been given this much power they’re never going to relinquish it.

the rules state it was offside.
it was offside.
If the rules are wrong, that's a bigger debate.

As soon as the lino flags - it becomes a case of clear and obvious error. That wasn't a clear and obvious error.

I agree mate - it would be a bit like Umpire’s call with the DRS in cricket and only the howlers would be reversed.

Would also give the fans in the ground more reason to celebrate goals as well.

But now the referees have been given this much power they’re never going to relinquish it.
The umpires call analogy is a good one tbh. At its best video technology is supportive of the referee on the pitch which they can call upon. The current system is a real mess and with multiple versions in play across the game, and no real momentum behind improving it, it’s not getting better

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.