Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
something i highlighted a couple of weeks ago and want to revisit;

why is the rate of hospitalisation/death for >85s now so high? if you look at the below, admissions to hospital for those 85+ are now roughly 100% of cases. This strikes me as very odd indeed. (Data is England only)

• All are actual date of case/admission/death, but i am guessing that for 85+, admissions is very close behind test, a few days?
  • I suppose there are still x% of this age bracket not vaccinated through choice, but the case/admission ratio was never near 100%, even pre-vaccine
  • testing is not done as much in >85s unless they are clearly ill? (seems unlikely)
  • Does this data intimate that nearly all >85s are getting covid in hospital itself?

View attachment 13118
My stepmother died of covid which she acquired in hospital. She was 93, I think.

Vaccine passports really are a bit of a joke. What’s the point other than to fuel conspiracy theorists when it doesn’t stop you getting and passing it on.

Outside of foreign travel it will be business lead. probably more likely insurance company lead to stop companies being liable for outbreaks occurring at there venues.

On the admissions of over 85s. Not quite following why it is odd. I am probably missing something simple as if it is baffling you then it is obviously for real.

Firstly, raw numbers are now very low. There are 4005 in England in hospital with Covid as of yesterday. So any % that who is over 85 is likely less than were dying every day in January. When there were nine times as many.

And inevitably there will now be more ability to try to save older patients as resources are less stretched - 600 on ventilators instead of 4000 from 9 weeks ago. - who at that age are all but certain to have other significant health issues that Covid is impacting - who in the past were likely too resource heavy if the choice was to use 50% of your resource saving one 90 year old or the same resources to save half a dozen 75 year olds.

Grim choices like that were made daily for months and are probably now less often needed as numbers are low and new treatment methods give hope even to the once hopeless who may well have just not been put through the trauma but now for all these reasons they can try to save.

Was watching on Sky 1 last night the excellent drama series set in a hospital in San Jose - The Good Doctor - starring Freddie HIghmore as an autistic but brilliant doctor. The first two episodes of the new series were all about how they battled Covid and they showed well the choices they had to make regardless of age and the priorities they had to adopt. And the decisions about who to put on ventilators.

From the documentaries I have seen it was like this all over the world for real- from China to Italy to the UK.

Last edited:
Vaccine passports really are a bit of a joke. What’s the point other than to fuel conspiracy theorists when it doesn’t stop you getting and passing it on.
It pretty much does stop you getting it and whilst inconclusive, it also seems to prevent it from being passed on.

I'm not a fan of this government but where have they said "get jabbed or else"? The way I see it, they're more reluctant to bring in Covid passports than some other governments and would prefer to leave it up to individual businesses/venues to decide. If other countries insist we have to have one to holiday there then there's not much our government can do but to go along with it.

Also, where have they made holidays "illegal"? All they're doing is just advising that the situation in many other countries is such that booking anything for the near future wouldn't be a wise move. You can still take a punt though and book a holiday abroad if you want.

As for not having any freedom despite half the country being jabbed, we have a roadmap out of lockdown that was announced weeks ago and so far that timetable hasn't been altered, so unless something goes drastically wrong in the meantime you can go and get wankered in a pub beer garden in a little over 2 weeks time.
From March 29 it will be a criminal offence to leave the UK for a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.