Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW Business leaders are increasing confident of a strong reopening of the economy, even though there is a level of uncertainty around the hospitality sector.
I'm very confident, seeing the Facebook buzz about pubs here in Sheffield, new places opening every week, and how wonderful Manchester looked on Saturday afternoon. We'll bounce back.

India's COVID surge continues to soar, with more than 126,000 cases reported overnight

India has reported a record 126,789 COVID-19 cases today - up from the 115,736 infections a day earlier.

Agree with the sentiment, but also was listening to a doc from the Thrombosis expert group (not exactly sure what the name was) on radio 4 this morning, and there seems to be confidence that if people are aware of this and present ASAP if they get symptoms then for most it will be treatable, so hopefully much less than even one in a million.
That was part of the justification given by the College of Haematology when they approached the HSJ a few weeks ago to raise concerts about the rare blood clots. I have seen threads sharing clinical response best practice which is hopefully helpful to clinicians. Maybe sharing more information encourages the small number of people with the relevant symptom to seek clinical help too. The recommended best clinical approach would otherwise be considered “counter intuitive” so it was important to share this information.

That’s only what I’ve read. I’m not qualified to say that’s correct or wrong.

Agree with the sentiment, but also was listening to a doc from the Thrombosis expert group (not exactly sure what the name was) on radio 4 this morning, and there seems to be confidence that if people are aware of this and present ASAP if they get symptoms then for most it will be treatable, so hopefully much less than even one in a million.
Yes that's a very good point. It's essential that people are aware of what to look out for and get help quick enough.

I agree it’s the end point mate. It’s herd immunity as a strategy that has been so destructive. I know you were referring to the former but I have a few (normally quite intelligent) friends who got obsessed with achieving herd immunity without vaccinations.
Herd immunity is a moving target. It always was but we didn't know it until strains were found with different R values, and different interactions with the immune system.

Presumably re-opening the pubs will have an effect on ‘nerd immunity’...
;-)
They will if we get new harmful variants but I’m hopeful we will reopen without a major reaction. Good ventilation and keeping social distancing is going to be important iMHO (so I think the “everything back to normal in June” announcement was irresponsible) .

I don’t know why some people bellyache about table service when we readily accept that in pubs on European trips to see City.

India's COVID surge continues to soar, with more than 126,000 cases reported overnight

India has reported a record 126,789 COVID-19 cases today - up from the 115,736 infections a day earlier.
I posted the graphs before then quickly deleted them. What is happening, and why? I ended up deleting them because it's highly speculative without genomics.

Worth pointing out that those benefits v risk graphs were for low levels of the virus circulating.

JVT showed 3 versions of those graphs and even with an increase to moderate infection rates, the benefits to people under 30 were far greater than the risks.

The sad fact is that although it's much better to get the vaccine, they are basically going to kill one healthy person per million by doing it. I know they are saving hundreds or thousands by doing this, but it's a sobering thought nevertheless.
If that’s a sobering thought then don’t look at the percentage of blood clots caused by flying .

Herd immunity is a moving target. It always was but we didn't know it until strains were found with different R values, and different interactions with the immune system.
The statistical value of herd immunity changes. If there are new variants that pushes herd immunity further away, then we haven’t achieved her immunity.

i was taken in a bit at the start of the pandemic that the U.K. could adopt a duel approach of delaying cases and increasing resilience (nudging towards her immunity). Some very helpful posters on her shared helpful stats and charts showing this was bollox. I changed my view and it is clear that herd immunity strategies are repulsive.

Anyone still supporting such strategies is to me in the nerd immunity camp. It shouldn’t be any big deal for a poster to admit that they got something wrong, particularly if they aren’t experts in the specific field

If that’s a sobering thought then don’t look at the percentage of blood clots caused by flying .
Also a good point! I'm the weird case that hates flying but does it a lot to go on holiday!

But blot clots on planes are generally a lot less dangerous than the one we are talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.