Golf Thread

Can anyone offer advice on a set of starter club's (not looking to break the bank but not looking for complete bargain basement that I will need to upgrade any time soon)?

Probably going to get some off eBay knowing that if I chuck it in I will probably get my money back on them............
I got a set of Ping G15 irons last year, like new, £70 posted on eBay...

I like Pings and they are a great set to start with but whatever you buy get a game improvement iron with plenty of forgiveness for off centre hits because you will be inconsistent to start with...

Was made up at the weekend. My first (solo) tournament win. It was a stableford but 122 entered. I was even more happy and surprised as nerves got to me on the first tee (570 yard par 5) as I topped my drive 30 yards and had to play a 7 iron from the rough a good 15 yards behind the ladies tee as my second shot. Managed to scramble a double bogie (net bogie 1 point) then doubled the next two as my arse had fallen out but somehow finished only one over for the last six holes to finish on 38 points and £250 better off.

Was made up at the weekend. My first (solo) tournament win. It was a stableford but 122 entered. I was even more happy and surprised as nerves got to me on the first tee (570 yard par 5) as I topped my drive 30 yards and had to play a 7 iron from the rough a good 15 yards behind the ladies tee as my second shot. Managed to scramble a double bogie (net bogie 1 point) then doubled the next two as my arse had fallen out but somehow finished only one over for the last six holes to finish on 38 points and £250 better off.
Haha good to see your human & well done on the win.

Never know what's going to happen off the tee with us four, could all be straight & well over 225 yards or as you did, yellow to blue tee.

It'd be nice to be much better but it's our 'second' sport and don't really put enough effort into it to improve past a certain level.

Shot 85 on Sunday with damp fairways playing Texas Scramble and drew with the other 2 lads we were up against.

Can anyone offer advice on a set of starter club's (not looking to break the bank but not looking for complete bargain basement that I will need to upgrade any time soon)?

Probably going to get some off eBay knowing that if I chuck it in I will probably get my money back on them............
I could sell you Taylormade Rbz 5-9 iron, not all matching heads/ shafts and a Cleveland cbx2 pitching wedge.

I started out with a fazer set from American Golf for a couple of hundred quid. I think there is a chance you could soon outgrow and be frustrated with something like that if you take to the game and enjoy it as they won’t be anywhere near matching the tech available on bigger name items, none of which will make you a good player but will help as you improve to get more out of the game.

I get the impression that constant upgrading seems to be a thing with a lot of golfers, those who can afford it, probably a bit of fantasy that if only they had that 400 quid driver...

Speaking of which I upgrade all my starter set and am now in the second phase of upgrades having bought some new ping irons I’m contemplating changing the woods as well so when you buy the Taylor Made’s you can buy the driver as well ;-)

I could sell you Taylormade Rbz 5-9 iron, not all matching heads/ shafts and a Cleveland cbx2 pitching wedge.

I started out with a fazer set from American Golf for a couple of hundred quid. I think there is a chance you could soon outgrow and be frustrated with something like that if you take to the game and enjoy it as they won’t be anywhere near matching the tech available on bigger name items, none of which will make you a good player but will help as you improve to get more out of the game.

I get the impression that constant upgrading seems to be a thing with a lot of golfers, those who can afford it, probably a bit of fantasy that if only they had that 400 quid driver...

Speaking of which I upgrade all my starter set and am now in the second phase of upgrades having bought some new ping irons I’m contemplating changing the woods as well so when you buy the Taylor Made’s you can buy the driver as well ;-)
How big a difference do the clubs make in general? I use the clubs my dad gave me from 25 years ago still and am contemplating getting a new set this year. The grips are all slippy and the give me horrible blisters, so think it might be time.

Haha good to see your human & well done on the win.

Never know what's going to happen off the tee with us four, could all be straight & well over 225 yards or as you did, yellow to blue tee.

It'd be nice to be much better but it's our 'second' sport and don't really put enough effort into it to improve past a certain level.

Shot 85 on Sunday with damp fairways playing Texas Scramble and drew with the other 2 lads we were up against.
Ashton open to visitors now, you can book a week in advance, members have first dibs up to a fortnight. We've resumed our 3:30ish Sunday slots now so may see you up there, wear your City cap so I can recognise you.

How big a difference do the clubs make in general? I use the clubs my dad gave me from 25 years ago still and am contemplating getting a new set this year. The grips are all slippy and the give me horrible blisters, so think it might be time.
I'm no pro but three things possible in decreasing order of cost.
1) Get new clubs
2) Get new grips
3) Clean grips well as a short term measure or even sandpaper them.
I am told that if you are getting blisters it suggests you're gripping the club too tightly which probably costs distance and accuracy as you don't release properly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.