Borussia Dortmund (A) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

If the ball ricochets off another body part then hits a hand it isn't handball that's clear in the law. In this case his arm was extended (unnatural) and it didn't come off his head onto his arm so clear pen under the law as it is at the moment
Interesting that the home Tv channel was backing the home team would BT have done the same if it had been City?

I think you already know the answer to that

I thought we were rather magnificent. Overall it was the performance a game like that needed and that's why I wondered at the start of this thread if it was our best UCL performance: it was one of huge maturity.

Arguably the game was one of the most pressurised this set of players have faced and, for the most part, they played with such calm, patience and assurance. As you say, their goal was very fortunate, you could pick some holes if you were harsh in City's defending but when a a blocked shot deflects straight to an opponent, sometimes there's not much to else to say.

City knew they would probably have to score and also that if they got two goals it was tie over so that may have helped the mental resolve to just keep doing what they do and not worry about being one down on the night. As soon as we scored, Dortmund had a huge problem because unparking the bus would leave them exposed as they chased a minimum additional two goals to win the tie. They had survived a fair while on massed and frantic last ditch defending but City's measured perseverance was always likely to be too much and once Riyad "Balls of Steel" Mahrez put them back in the lead, only one outcome looked likely.

The way Gundo and Rodri kept control of the ball in midfield was superb and if they can do that against PSG and simply keep the ball away from their front three, we might just have a chance of getting to the final ;-)
Agree with every point mate. We were magnificent. We had one dodgy spell early on but from the minute they scored we looked in total control and to be honest I never really doubted we'd win the game. You can't legislate for a freak goal or a sending off of course but I felt that's what it was going to take to knock us out, even at 1-0 down.

A proper, gutsy, battling dominant team display. The right team playing in the right way.

Reactions: OB1
I'm a bit puzzled by some on here who thought we had a poor first half. We had a very timid start for some reason, but after Dortmund scored - and fair play the young lad took his chance well - I thought we dominated from that point. At HT and 0-1, hitting the bar and one cleared off the line, you're thinking "is it one of those nights?". But massive credit second half, we came out and controlled the game. The penalty was nailed on....there's no debate. The arm was in the most unnatural position possible and the slight touch from head to arm doesn't alter the fact the ball was hitting the arm anyway. Great strike for the second goal, what else can you say. The best thing about this? We played to our strengths, concentrated on what we could do and never hit the panic button. Players and manager showed they trust each other to deliver.

We were overwhelmed in the first 15 minutes because they played with enormous pace and intensity. No team, however fit, could keep that up for long and so it proved. In that last 20 minutes we could have had a hat full if we had wanted to go for it.

We need to stop the inhibited 20-odd minutes we seem to have in this competition.

Gundo admitted to us being edgy and I just don't see why, we have loads of experience now.

If you recall our exits, the games at Liverpool, Monaco and Spurs were all made uphill because of crazy openings or five minute periods?

Certainly at the elite level, you can't get away with it.

Interesting analogy from Neymar today re the Bayern result...

You can be chatting up a woman all night (dominate possession) but then a guy comes along at the end of the night and takes her away in five minutes.

it seems it’s what pep wants after the game he was talking about foden having more touches or all players have more touches because it keeps the players in the right positions and less Likely for the counter attacks.. I rather have one touch passing and movement play quicker Which open up games and chances! But Peps the man he knows more than most

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.