Last Film You Saw

The Hunt (2012) with Miks Madelssen Mads Mikkelsen is a stone cold classic thriller / drama, a suspensful tale of empathy, fear and rumour. Unmissable.

But I imagine you're looking at The Hunt (2020), which is a slightly deranged violent satire of US politics, a Battle Royal type affair. It's ok to entertaining. Passed the time.
I really need to get round to seeing the 2020 film, sounds right up my street, I've seen the kill count on YouTube but not actually seen the film!

Just finished it. Fucking shite. Too long, much too long.

The way they shot those opening scenes (before the film really got started) pissed me off. Found myself saying "fucking get on with it!"

Should have known it'd be gash when Dave Bautista is the lead actor.
I agree with you but it's funny, I went on youtube to see a few reviews of it, the reviewers were actually very positive, but one comment section was all about how abysmal it was (which I agree with) and the comment section on another review was all about how amazing it was, one even calling it an instant Zombie film classic! Amazing how peoples views can be so opposite.

I agree with you but it's funny, I went on youtube to see a few reviews of it, the reviewers were actually very positive, but one comment section was all about how abysmal it was (which I agree with) and the comment section on another review was all about how amazing it was, one even calling it an instant Zombie film classic! Amazing how peoples views can be so opposite.

Not a huge fan of the Zombie genre. That probably clouds my judgement before it's even begun.

Maybe one of the last truly great films that Scorsese made. Nobody, but nobody, does menace like De Niro. (Well… okay, Joe Pesci). You are really tense, from beginning to end.
That scene in the school theatre. Did you know that that was improvised? She didn't know that he was going to do that. He told Scorsese that he'd got an idea, and Scorsese said "Go for it!”. What naughty boys they were, the pair of them. You can see that she's really bothered, but terrifically turned on at the same time. She said as much in later years.
I've got it on DVD, so I literally know many scenes word for word. “Councillor? Councillor? Come out, come out, wherever you aaare…”
But was it as good as the original ?

The Hunt (2012) with Miks Madelssen Mads Mikkelsen is a stone cold classic thriller / drama, a suspensful tale of empathy, fear and rumour. Unmissable.

But I imagine you're looking at The Hunt (2020), which is a slightly deranged violent satire of US politics, a Battle Royal type affair. It's ok to entertaining. Passed the time.
Your correct about the 2012 version of The Hunt.
Mads Mikklesen is one of my favourite actors.
Have you seen Riders of Justice ?

But was it as good as the original ?

I have both on DVD. I like film history (I think Scorsese's two documentaries on American and Italian film are treasure troves to learn from), so I tracked down the original with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, both of whom appear in the remake, of course, although in very different roles. Honestly, I like the original but I think it's one of those very rare cases where the remake actually improves on it. De Niro is every bit as intimidating as Mitchum. But more importantly, Scorsese goes into what's going on within the family in a much more interesting way. Just my opinion, obviously. Whereas Peck is the fine upstanding lawyer (he almost seems like Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird), Nolte plays quite a scumbag so it seems almost justified that Cady goes after him like a guided missile. Also, the sexual tension between Cady and Leigh, the wife, is completely absent from the first one; not to mention the sexual tension with the daughter, which is right on the limits of PC acceptability, and would have been completely impossible in the original. Then there is Elmer Bernstein's magnificent score. Loved all the biblical stuff, too, which Cady keeps quoting. That sermon he gives Sam Bowden, quoting from Silesius, when he's just beaten three men to a pulp and they're lying around him groaning is just brilliant cinema. The Old Testament is one of the bloodiest books in world literature, although people seldom realise it…
I've probably gone into this in much more detail than you wanted, but you did ask! And it's a film I'm very enthusiastic about. For me, it's up there with Taxi Driver, Mean Streets and Goodfellas.

Last edited:
I have both on DVD. I like film history (I think Scorsese's two documentaries on American and Italian film are treasure troves to learn from), so I tracked down the original with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, both of whom appear in the remake, of course, although in very different roles. Honestly, I like the original but I think it's one of those very rare cases where the remake actually improves on it. De Niro is every bit as intimidating as Mitchum. But more importantly, Scorsese goes into what's going on within the family in a much more interesting way. Just my opinion, obviously. Whereas Peck is the fine upstanding lawyer (he almost seems like Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird), Nolte plays quite a scumbag so it seems almost justified that Cady goes after him like a guided missile. Also, the sexual tension between Cady and Leigh, the wife, is completely absent from the first one; not to mention the sexual tension with the daughter, which is right on the limits of PC acceptability, and would have been completely impossible in the original. Then there is Elmer Bernstein's magnificent score. Loved all the biblical stuff, too, which Cady keeps quoting. That sermon he gives Sam Bowden, quoting from Silesius, when he's just beaten three men to a pulp and they're lying around him groaning is just brilliant cinema. The Old Testament is one of the bloodiest books in world literature, although people seldom realise it…
I've probably gone into this in much more detail than you wanted, but you did ask! And it's a film I'm very enthusiastic about. For me, it's up there with Taxi Driver, Mean Streets and Goodfellas.
Hahaha no mate enjoyed reading that.
They're both great in their own way.
Have you seen Scorceses new movie is a western. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.