#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm not sure on where I stand on supporting roles in an XI, but we definitely use Bernardo that way at City (also Zinchenko, Rodri, and Jesus).

One thing is though I'd wager supporting acts are more necessary when certain other players play in a City team. We have one of the most philosophical managers in history and he REALLY believes in his philosophy. But I think also we have players that aren't necessarily prototypical Pep players to make that dream happen. In 16/17 I'd wager Pep quickly realised that the Premier League is always going to be the Premier League and there are certain things you need that you don't elsewhere. In Spain he could play Mascherano at CB to a good level, in England Fernandinho at CB turned out poorly, despite being a similarly talented footballer.

So we have a team with guys like Dias, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Aguero etc who aren't really Pep players. They've all been really talented and are excellent footballers, but playing any of them takes away from the philosophy. So to make up for it you need those boring grafters that will focus on high off the ball efforts and ball retention over more ambitious plays. It's probably not a coincidence that when De Bruyne doesn't play that Cancelo, Bernardo, and Gundogan all come to life.

As I said earlier I'm not sure this is the way to go but it I do understand the reasoning and in fairness it has had a large amount of success.

I think that's a very reasoned take on it.

It feels like Bernardo (and Jesus in particular) are there to do other people's running when we field certain line-ups. It detracts from their own exceptional talents in order to facilitate players who don't quite fit the archetype.

There's a definite and real tension there between who our best players are and what our best team is, and I think you're right that Pep didn't have to navigate that to anywhere near the same extent at his previous clubs

HUH?? WTAF??
He's right in some respects. Dias is decent with his feet, but he's not better than Laporte especially when he plays him on the left. However, there was a recognition that he needed a defender like Dias because he's an old fashion defender who likes to defend. KDB as well is a guy who doesn't hold onto the ball like a typical Pep player. Pep always talks about how he likes the short passes. KDB will try the spectacular and loses possession a lot because of it. It must be a conundrum for Pep because he wants to keep the ball, but knows KDB can produce moments of magic.

I can see the merit in selling him. Great lad bit does he score or set up enough?? If I were him and athletico Madrid were after me I would fancy it too. Change at this stage of his career not a bad thing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.