#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off course they can because there are certain things that you cannot measure with football players and their worth to a team.

That isn’t the data lying though, is it? That’s again a failure of interpretation. I completely agree with you that can’t rely solely on quantifiable data for a sport as complex as football, but that doesn’t mean the data is lying to you.

His biggest problem appears to be that he is TOO versatile and can play in TOO MANY positions!

With Foden, he is the best utility attacking midfielder at the club. His energy levels are otherworldly, his contribution is far more like David Silva than Phil Foden provides, because Foden has more speed and is more dynamic than David ever was.

As others have stated, if we would simply give him A position, we could, perhaps, compare him to others. However, given the “portfolio” approach to his appearances, it’s unfair to compare him to any one player, as he can cover about 5 positions.

He is a relatively low paid, high energy, 7/10, no drama, hard working player that every club in Europe would want. He holds the ball as well as anyone in the squad, puts in more work than most, and has shown himself happy to play a bit part at times.

I think it would be a huge mistake to remove KDB’s natural relief.
David Silva's strength was his agility, not his speed, and he was more agile than both of them.

Surprised I keep reading some "surprised" that Bernardo is not so happy.

This is what I wrote after watching the PL Trophy presentation:

Bernardo looked pretty unhappy (wonder about his future the more I think about it as he came back well but played less) and Laporte (he's gone 100%).

He has been nowhere near consistently the same player we loved and has become more of an alternate Gundo when deeper or Jesus / secondary striker with less goals or even shots created or on target.

The goals and assists have dried up and what I saw in that presentation seemed like a guy pretty unhappy and/or isolated for some reason. That does not seem like the player we heard or saw at all.

He's turned into a hard working, ball retention oriented midfielder. That's valuable, but is that who we are looking for from him and who he WAS and is CAPABLE of being?

This guy was A BEAST who looked like becoming one of the world's best attacking mids/wide attackers.

I can hardly recognise him now and seems like such a great guy overall, who we also loved for his buying into being a City player like others we know have been a bit slower to show in the past.

Would you rather he or Grealesh? I hate to say it but right now I go for the latter.

HOWEVER, I can see him completely re-inventing himself at another side.

If we sell I 100% put loads of performance based fees as I think a new scene may do wonders for him.

Very sad if he goes but I have to say I get it. He came close to back from the dead when I was ready to send him off but then seems to have not quite got back to his best and now with Foden and Mahrez, hard to see him getting games as anything other than a squad player until he proves he can be a starter.

Otherwise just gets games as Gundo's backup.

Not what he wants, I am sure and he tried to come back. Maybe doesn't want to again. Maybe Mendy his best mate off too if we can get rid, surely. I think Bernardo was trying to be more of a leader, but the Mendy incident and Dias has stolen his shine.

Wish him the best and appreciate him massively.

David Silva's strength was his agility, not his speed, and he was more agile than both of them.
He was also very strong,deceptively so.....his legs are very powerful and gave him superb balance.He used his body brilliantly,and thankfully passed some of that expertise on to Phil.

his best position is the right side

Let's not start doing this, this is what United fans do when one of their players is being shit. "It's not his best position" even though his best form for us has come in CM. During 18/19 with KDB out he was incredible in CM. For the most part he's been useless on the right like for most of his first season and most of this one.

He's turned into a guy who gets goals and assists into a guy who does very little. That's on him, not his position.

Where I'm having difficulty with Bernardo (and Jesus to an extent too) is the idea that we need players in the team that do the dirty work, even if they don't produce the tangible output we should expect from attacking players in a Guardiola team.

For the record, I love both Bernardo and Jesus and want both to stay here for a long time.

But I don't remember Pep's Barcelona and Bayern teams having that kind of player in them. Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Messi, Pedro all did the work AND produced with the ball at their feet. We've somehow ended up with a team where some players are there primarily for their energy, and others primarily for their output. If we're aiming to be the very best, shouldn't all our players consistently provide both (Foden would be the best example of this)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.