Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of the multiple narratives, just a wider acknowledgement that one player told us at a certain juncture he would like to play for us, while keeping all his options open.

And there is another player Pep absolutely loves who has made it crystal clear to us that he wants to come here and we will play the percentages on it as they stand.

Last season we moved away from Koulibaly to Kounde, to Dias.

Whilst I agree City can and should lean in more on Haaland if it is just a question of money, I don't think we see Kane as a downgrade on multiple fronts.

There is also other business to conduct and another £100m on Grealish, plus the uncertainty of outgoings, I can see why City don't want to hedge their bets for too long on Haaland.

We will know the landscape, I'm absolutely sure of it.

Txiki probably has his Cuban heels up laughing his bollocks off right now.
Txiki probably has his Cuban heels up laughing his bollocks off right now.

Not yet, the dude needs to keep bust until August, not time for the cigars yet.

I keep coming back to the fact that we released Sergio Aguero in March.

I simply don't believe that the club would do that with nothing lined up and no knowledge of whether Spurs or Dortmund would sell at a particular price that the club was OK with spending.

I don't think Pep or the club would genuinely think it was acceptable to release Aguero with a 5% possibility that no one came in to replace him.
The way we operate in transfers is very solid. We had our fingers burnt in the Cook era and we have been far more professional since. We don't offer silly money we are in line with the other top clubs and we walk away when we need to. There is a long list of players that we have been close to signing and we drew a line in the sand and the deal fell away, many of those players are now playing badly for other PL clubs.

We will go about this in the same way - even if we have to miss out on a top target this summer and get a stop gap in. My guess is the strategy is as follows:

Haaland is the top target - we will have a massive deal ready to go but there will be a limit to it and it will be linked to his buy out next year. I think we wait to get Haaland next year if we get a solid commitment.

Kane is option 2. If Haaland goes some elsewhere or there is significant doubt over a deal next summer then we go for Kane. But there is a limit on what we pay and just because we might go for him does not mean we pay whatever Spurs want - its just as difficult as option 1.

Option 3 - If the first 2 dont come of then any number of other strikers could come into play. Anyone from Messi to Danny Ings.

I keep coming back to the fact that we released Sergio Aguero in March.

I simply don't believe that the club would do that with nothing lined up and no knowledge of whether Spurs or Dortmund would sell at a particular price that the club was OK with spending.

I don't think Pep or the club would genuinely think it was acceptable to release Aguero with a 5% possibility that no one came in to replace him.

I am in complete agreement with you.

We will have an understanding already in place.

Of course, and nobody at City has said we have walked away from Haaland, which is the correct stance, as you rightly say.

The only issue is that if Chelsea did somehow complete on Haaland in quick fashion, while Kane is still at the Euros, we are knackered anyhow.

He said in public he wanted his future sorted before the Euros, which seems very unlikely.

Certainly more unlikely than Haaland moving before Kane, if indeed the reports are true he has been talking to Chelsea.

'He' didn't say it in public though did he? Or have I missed that. I know there was a claim, one if those 'it is understood' attributed to his entourage.

Why are we talking about kane vs haaland in terms of "downgrade"? Kane is a better player than haaland right now, I hope that's clear to everyone.

They certainly don't seem particularly bothered about much right now. Very little indication they're remotely moved by any of the wild press speculation.
Feels to me like City over the past few years keep the media very much at arms length and that leads to a lot of the negative and speculative BS they write about us. I like it that way, but doesn't half make pre season and transfer windows very tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.