Muffin or Barm

As I have said before, Barm Cake is for the upper class, Muffin for the working class.
My Grandad and dad had two Chippies in Gorton, on occations they sold buttered Muffins so people could have a Chip Muffin.
Chip Barm doesnt have the same ring.

As I have said before, Barm Cake is for the upper class, Muffin for the working class.
My Grandad and dad had two Chippies in Gorton, on occations they sold buttered Muffins so people could have a Chip Muffin.
I am certain I would have liked yer Dad 'n Grandad. I reckon it's people from Didsbury who asked at their chippy (if they ever had chippies in Didsbury) for a chip barm to avoid asking for chip muffin and then being told "What! Chip muffin! Yer from Moston, Blackley, 'Apper'ay aren't yer?!

In Leicester they call it a Cob
I can go with a 'chip cob' rather than 'barm'! But muffin encapsulates the very essence of its qualities - it's almost onomatopoeic! Come to think, didn't it appear in Shakespeare's Richard III - "A muffin, a muffin, my kingdom for a muffin"? And that sonnet wot he wrote - A muffin by any other name would be the stuff of puke!"

A ring you say? That’ll be a donut, another sweet product like the muffin.

Barm on the other grand is a savoury product that is ideal for chips. My school canteen used to call it a chip muffin which goes some way to explaining why I turned out the way I did

The word muffin is thought to come from the Low German muffen, meaning "little cakes".[3] Recipes for muffins appear in British cookbooks as early as 1758. Hannah Glasse's The Art of Cookery contains a recipe for muffins. The muffins are described as being "like a Honey-comb" inside.[4] This is similar to the "nooks and crannies" later advertised as a signature of Thomas' English muffins. Into the early nineteenth century muffins were sold door to door in England by hawkers as a snack bread before most homes had their own ovens. The traditional English nursery rhyme "The Muffin Man", which dates from 1820 at the latest, traces to that custom.[5]
So the answer is it a Muffin or barm is obvious
ITS A MUFFIN

Your loose grasp of the English language tells me all I need to know.

It’s a barm.

A muffin, can be toasted, or buttered with some chips for a great butty.

A barm cake, someone off his head. (only having a laugh lads and lasses).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.